What good is experience?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nutmeg, May 20, 2010.

1. Buzzed

Buzzed

Education is in essence experience.

You may be taught in school that 2+2=4, but that is only because someone discovered via experience that 2+2=4 at some point.

#11     Jun 26, 2010
  2. Retief

Retief

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. -Franklin P. Jones

#12     Jun 26, 2010
  3. maxpi

maxpi

the trouble with the school of experience is that often the first thing is the final test, then the learning follows...

#13     Jun 26, 2010
  4. schizo

schizo

Failure, while painful, is the most effective teacher. It will beat you into submission every single time. Well, until that fateful day when you finally have your a-ha moment.

#14     Jun 27, 2010
  5. It is very obvious that 2 + 2 = 22

It does not matter what the answer is, for, what matters most is what YOU GET from the answer.

The majority spend most of the time thinking and TALKING about things that do not matter, at all, and then wonder why they get nowhere in life:eek:

"A wise man learns from the MISTAKES of others"

"In order to SEE, you must first OPEN your EYES"

"100 pennies MAKE a pound"

I could go on and on and on, but there is NO NEED, really :D

EVERYONE gets EXACTLY what they deserve in life.

TE

#15     Jul 3, 2010
  6. "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." --Oscar Wilde

#16     Jul 6, 2010
  7. Does that include contracting a disease or being born into famine? I can go on.

#17     Jul 6, 2010
  8. So this problem ends up on my desk 2 years ago. Not for any particular reason or because it has a greater degree of difficulty, it was just the natural course of business.

A few people are glad to see me have this problem because they have faith in me to bring it to a successful conclusion.

The problem responds well to my methods and bada bing bada boom, everyone decides "times up". Well, I'm miffed because the problem is not solved, needs my attention long term but not all time consuming, just "nudging". Well you know how the system works. When "they" say it's done, it's done.

Fast forward to the present. Problem is back in my lap, even worse than before. I knew that was coming and I had some idea's about what to expect and prepared for my next attack.

What is different this time though, my input is argued with foolish responses.

No one really wants the problem solved, except me and I can do it. Everyone enjoys the problem because it is a nice diversion.

I'm just annoyed. :cool:

#18     Jul 6, 2010
  9. Not in trading the markets.

We're never allowed to "know the correct course of action". We can speculate or conclude what we believe to be "probable". But as there are 2 parties to every trade, someone is disagreeing with you regardless.

If there were a way to know ANY parameter which is "correct", eventually everybody would opt to take the correct action.... but nobody would be willing to take the other side... hence, "no trade".

In the markets, "2 + 2 = ?"

#19     Jul 6, 2010
  10. pchan

pchan

2 + 2 rarely equals four when dealing with human actions and reactions therefore experience is a very relative term. Each individual will attain a different level of experience in any given situation. Practice doesn't make perfect...perfect practice makes perfect.

#20     Jul 6, 2010