What good is a brain?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lindq, Mar 30, 2004.

1. I trade off my backtested, proven mechanical system. Whenever a news event tries to cloud my thinking and cause me to do something irrational, I remember Dennis Hopper's line in Speed: "Jack! Don't attempt to grow a brain now!"

My point being - use your brain for developing your trading system but leave it out of the picture when actually trading. If the system's good it'll work on its own.

#11     Mar 30, 2004
  2. OK, a little rain on the proverbial parade, and what I'm sure is unwelcomed logic.

Computer programs don't have "brains" so to speak. Those of you who have "systems" that you are sure will be profitable should probably go ahead and spend months/years writing programs. If you are right in your logic, then you will own everything created by mankind in a very short time (with all deference to Bill Gates, who may hold on to a portion of "everything" as a royalty to MSFT).

We traded "systems" in the 1980's, 1990's, and in this millenium, and yes, they worked "sometimes." And, yes, it is better to have a "plan" of some sort...but if anyone of you really thinks that your system will work...then I have a proposition for you....(read on)...

Come up with small capital (really small), I will see that you have $100K to start your trading with, and quickly up it to $1Million if you can provide "proof of concept" (real time, not silly back testing or paper trading).....

I will let you keep half the profits for the first million, 75% for the next 9 million, and 90% for life.

People much smarter than me (no comments, LOL) have searched for decades for such a deal.....so here it is...and people much smarter than me have wasted decades searching for something that doesn't exist...when they could've better spent their time simply learning how to trade, making money....and, what is so ironic...is that after they made money, they were approached by others with "systems" ......but they wouldn't risk their own money, ever, ever, ever....

I will not only follow through on the above, I will make your name a household word throughout the industry....for generations to come...as the person who took control of the markets.

I'm really not trying to burst any bubbles out there....I'm more into dealing with the realities of the markets...sure, you can "automate" working theories for extra benefits...and you can program responses to historical events...but you cannot devise something that will control what cannot be dictated or predicted.

Prove me wrong, please, I don't mind risking the money....if it works...

Oh, yeah, your part can be as little as Pattern Day Trader money...or less....

Once more...prove me wrong, please...I will donate a percentage of my share to a charity of your choice....

Don

#12     Mar 30, 2004
  3. Banjo

Banjo

The key is not machine trading, machine trading itself is meaningless. there is no magic in machine trading. It is WHAT the machine is trading that is meaningfull. If you have a created a mediocre system then there is no edge in having it machine traded. The machine will only improve the success of an elegantly written system ( i.e. human emotional behavior as reflected by the motion of price) by removing the layer of emotion of the perceivor existing in the perceived market matrix of the moment and leaving the decision up to the perception of the machine that is limited in perception to it's instruction set reguarding specific inputs.

#13     Mar 30, 2004
  4. Machine trade... LOL... The machines have taken over he world... bwahahahahahahaha

Or Robots???? woo hooo... I... AM... A... RO...BOT... bzzzzzzz

I just sit around managing the systems I made.

Brains??? Oh... I used to develop it. Brains for execution... maybe some brain power to click the mouse...

Calories = BrainPower???

#14     Mar 30, 2004
  5. think.

#15     Mar 30, 2004
  6. OK, Don, I'll take you up on your offer.

I trade EUR/USD and (sometimes) USD/JPY.

I have over 1 month live trading under my belt and many months demo trading.

I make between 20 and 50+ trades per (24 hour) session and I close all trades in wins with my Kabir system and I have zero losses per trading session - the majority of the time becoming flat around 7AM to 9AM PST.

I earn on average 100+ points per session clean profit no losses.

I use a strict capital allotment system (50/50/30/1-2MM) that can handle any amount of money and make profits proportionately.

Well?

If you are interested pls PM me. I do have trading cap and am not really intereted in making a name for myself in the industry - just trading for a living.

I even have my own broker who can handle 10,000,000 unit trades per clip instant execution.

Let's do business! :D

Sam

#16     Mar 31, 2004
  7. ...the real issue ain't brains, it's balls.

#17     Mar 31, 2004
  8. Sorry Sam...but since Currency trading is so far off the radar, BT would never get involved in that game. And since you are already trading, you should be able to check back with us in 6 months, either disenchanted with that type of trading completely, or in control of much more than $million.

The offer stands for any serious listed equity trader (we trade where we find the edge)...the same comments apply to all systems, but if you're going to have any sort of "system" - then it should be focused on a "winnable" game (IMHO).

If you would like to change my mind (anything is possible)...fax me copies of your sheets for the next 3 months (keep your secrets and system to yourself of course)...and I will review them.

Don :cool:

#18     Mar 31, 2004
  9. lindq

lindq

Okay, I'm interested. I assume that most of your traders are hyperactive. I, however, swing trade long and take 10-15 trades per month. So if you are interested in net gains, and not commissions, let's talk.

What kind of documentation do you need? And how would you arrange remote trading?

#19     Mar 31, 2004
  10. Actually "hyper-activity" is something that we stress against - traders need to trade calmly and rationally.

Sure, you can call me directly - reference this note. 800.249.7488. As far as documentation goes, just show me a few months of trading sheets, and feel free to attach your explanation (without disclosing any programming code or anything).

BTW, I'm pretty nervous about the swing trade "long" - since system trading has nothing to do with market direction or simple timing (but I'm assuming you know that already).

All others, thanks for the PM's and Emails - phone calls or personal visits to discuss details is probably better than taking up space here on the board (but we can post some results, if the system traders choose to - we will maintain confidentiality).

Don

#20     Mar 31, 2004