What good are we traders for?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by javaboy, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

we pay taxes, we give to charity, surely that's noble and purposeful enough right?

or like Tom Cruise's friends said in the movie 'Risky Business' -

"nah we just want to make lots of money" :p

#51     Sep 4, 2003
  2. .... some guys have major... blinded eye... problem...

If you look at a leaf, you are blinded from the tree.

If you look at a tree, you are blinded from the forest.

If you look at a forest, you are blinded from the mountain.

If you look at a mountain...

#52     Sep 4, 2003
  3. without going through the entire thread,

traders who make money use their income and contribute to the economy. you buy a house (pays for the builders/contractors), you buy food, clothes, etc and it pays for their corresponding makers/workers.

#53     Sep 4, 2003
  4. liv'in on sponge-cake,
    watch'in the sun bake...

all of those tourists,
    covered with oil...

(haven't checked into ET in a while -- had to laugh when I noticed this thread was continuing):cool:

#54     Sep 9, 2003
  5. Yeah, but the catch is, so do others with a "real" job, and they produce something on top of it.....

#55     Sep 10, 2003
  6. Traders create markets. Its intangible, but as real as stuff that nurses do or computer programmers.

#56     Sep 10, 2003
  7. Cutten

Cutten

Free markets have done more to increase living standards, and thus save millions of people from death by starvation and disease, than all the doctors and firefighters in history. And that's ignoring all the enjoyable things that prosperity has brought to people around the world. Thus, as the lifeblood of markets, traders, speculators, and entrepreneurs have contributed far more to society than any other profession on earth.

Remember that without wealth and productive business, doctors will not have the resources to save lives - just look at Africa where diarrhoea is a major killer due to lack of medical supplies, money, training, transport infrastructure, and clean water. Firefighters, police, and ambulance crew save more lives when they can raise funding at reasonable interest rates to pay a decent wage and buy the latest cheap, high quality equipment to do their jobs better. All these things depend on efficient and smoothly running markets, which we contribute to each time we buy and sell, by narrowing spreads, reducing transactions costs, increasing liquidity, forming prices which people around the world use to calculate their economic decisions, and allowing others to lay off risk. Is that is not productive, and useful for society at large, then I don't know what is.

Trading is an honourable and moral profession based on free and honest exchange, which contributes massively to the wealth of global society. Far from being a selfish and shameful profession, it is a vocation to be proud of.

Besides, what would happen to all those Ferrari franchises, pizza delivery companies, strippers and coke dealers if people stopped trading? :D

#57     Sep 11, 2003
  8. IN2WIN

IN2WIN

I believe as "traders we both provide immediate benefits to others and the community, and have the opportunity to carry our success into the community by sharing the time we otherwise may spend traveling from a 9 to 5, or 6, or whatever job.

On one hand our trades help make the markets more liquid, help keep the fluid flowing, We pay commissions helping maintain a vast brokerage industry, purchase pc's, data feeds, internet services, phone lines, ect. paying many thousands of other peoples salaries.

In addition, we support ourselves, and families while opening positions we would occupy if in the "work force".

Some of us help educate others in the art and science of trading, or share their ability to create income with those less able - even if we do so as, any professional shares their knowledge, - on a fee for service basis.

When I was in professional practice I didn't give my services away for free either, except to individuals who could truly not afford to pay.

If trading brings you financial stability, and personal satisfaction it must also positively effect those you come in contact with contact with.

You can't share positive feelings you don't have. I am much kinder with my family after few hour of trading, then I was after a long day of dealing with patients, staff, insurance companies, labs, and the commute.

I believe the secrete of a successful life, and the real end "goal" of every thing we do is "happiness".

The happier you can be, the more space you have to be with others as they are, and the greater your ability to help toward their own happiness.

I trade because I enjoy it, and I am thankful that I can do something I enjoy as a means to meet my financial needs, rather have to do something I do not enjoy as a "requirement" to meeting my families financial needs.

I also believe that trading is one of the remaining "flat playing fields". Anyone regardless of age, race, religion, sex, geographic location, and financial status can achieve unlimited success in trading. Should they so choose and commit the time and effort required.

I oft times feel that God created the markets as mechanism for wealth redistribution, equally available to all.

As a trader the results you produce are 100% yours, and therefore, you may ultimately come face to face with the fact that in essence you create every result in your life. (I may be getting to heavy for some of you, so I'll end here).

I've always heard it said that if you want career satisfaction, both personal and financial: "Find something you enjoy doing, then find a way to make into an income producing game".

I have: I hope you do also!

#58     Oct 6, 2003
  9. Technically, that is one word. :D

#59     Oct 6, 2003
  10. One word:

Thank you and :)

#60     Oct 6, 2003