What generates your trading signals?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Howard, Feb 8, 2019.

1. themickey

themickey

Impressive eye candy chart

#101     Feb 16, 2019
    cornerstone likes this.
  2. bln

bln

A quantitative model where raw market data goes in in one end and binary buy/sell (true/false) signals come out in the other end.

Actually there is multiple models working together, higher level models working as filters for lower level models. I quantify time into blocks/chunks so the models operate in their own time space.

#102     Feb 16, 2019
    digitalnomad and Howard like this.
  3. Howard

Howard

Very interesting. I also utilize a quantitative model in a similar fashion, but it's usually too rough to give precise buy/sell signals. Hence why I utilize charts as supplementary analysis.

Is this day trading?

Do you utilize charts also?

Thanks.

#103     Feb 16, 2019
  4. bln

bln

All types of trading, all at the same time. Short term swing trades, multi-month medium term trades, multi-year long term trades in the major US indices.

I only look at charts for fun and entertainment, not so much for decision making in my trading. I also look at economic data, ISM PMI, unemployment, rates, yield curve, global macro, emerging markets, global capital flows, etc to have some kind of clue where the economy is heading.

#104     Feb 16, 2019
    Howard and digitalnomad like this.
  5. Howard

Howard

Very interesting.

Mind me asking what's your medium/long-term outlook for the US stock market? :)

#105     Feb 17, 2019
  6. Howard

Howard

Trend lines seem to work very well for generating signals, BUT, there are problems that needs to be adressed in order to create rules for consistency.

The most pressing matter is that of when a trend line is broken and when it's redrawn.

See picture below. Not the best example, but on this small violation of the initial TL, I wouldn't consider it a real violation of the trend line. For that to happen, I'll require a violation of say 2,5 points and/or a close below.

So, I then re-drawed the trend line. The result is a less steep trend line and consequentially, you'll get your sell trigger later.

Any comments on the matter? If you use TLs - how do you deal with drawing/redrawing?

upload_2019-2-20_19-36-46.png

Same thing going on in ES right now (fast chart). Initial line was very steep and while it was broken slightly, price simply went sideways. So I re-drawed it.

However, this break was deep enough and made lower lows that I considered it an actual break and took profit on my long entry (assuming I had one).

upload_2019-2-20_19-44-28.png

#106     Feb 20, 2019
  7. Trend lines can be very useful, but not always work. It is better to take more signals to support the trend lines like the Bookmap heat map that can validate the trend. PYX@DXFEED_screenshot_20190221_151816_711.png Capture 3.PNG

#107     Feb 21, 2019
  8. Howard

Howard

I agree that signal support is better and even necessary. But my specific question now (and one I think isn't very much adressed in trading books since they annotate after the fact) is how one deals with re-drawing trendline if an intial trendline break turns out to be a deeper retracement instead?

It's a common issue. And happened again just now:

upload_2019-2-21_19-28-8.png

Using the original trend line would have given a faster entry/signal. Using the re-drawn trend line would give a delayed trigger. How to deal with this specific situation?

Regardless, the price have now broken both trend lines, so a sell is triggered anyway.

If you're reading now - what does your Bookmap charts tell you about this move? Can you tell us if it's likely that this signal/turn will have some downside potential?

#108     Feb 21, 2019
  9. Howard

Howard

Personally, and I can't share everything about this, I think we'll make new highs later today, so my expectations of this sell is small. But the slow signal have yielded 2 points already, so I take that also.

#109     Feb 21, 2019
  10. Howard

Howard

Can't take more than what the market offers. Since I think (but obviously don't know) this down move will be of a small size, am prepared to take profits here and will follow price closely now.

upload_2019-2-21_19-35-9.png

EDIT: And stopped for a small profit (2,0 points).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    #110     Feb 21, 2019