What Features are a *MUST HAVE* for you in a Trading Platform?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by MotiveWave, Dec 11, 2018.

1. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

What are the absolute MUST HAVE features for you in a Trading Platform? Is it advanced DOM functionality? Specific indicators? Coding ability/support? Specific backtesting features? Please let us know!

fan27 likes this.
  2. fan27

fan27

Must be able to easily use multiple time frames in a strategy and combine multiple strategies into a portfolio of strategies which can be backtested/live traded together.

shatteredx and WeToddDid2 like this.
  3. They

They

I second that!

4. You can do this with backtrader https://www.backtrader.com

fan27 likes this.
  5. fan27

fan27

Good to know...there are platforms out there that can do it. It really is a must have if you are serious about algo trading.

6. Peter10

Peter10

pivot points and exponential moving average. Datsall

7. Specterx

Specterx

1. Ease of use/UX - I've ended many a free trial after 5 minutes when it became apparent that something like dragging a chart around, or adjusting the view/zoom/scale, required navigating menus or multiple clicks/key presses.

2. Support for modifying various elements of the software via code, or adding new elements, in a way that falls between basic chart indicators and the usual ATM functionality (bracket orders, auto trail stops etc) and full auto-trading. E.g. I daytrade manually, but I've modified Ninja's chart trader with a custom interface and backend logic to automate certain aspects of my trade execution / management. Others might want to do things like esoteric indicator windows or custom watchlists or scanners.

3. A "container" feature that lets you arrange charts, data panels, DOM etc in any configuration you want, within a single container window instance that can be easily moved around to different monitors, resized, minimized, etc. Some chart programs only support this in the main window (not very useful for multiple monitors), others (e.g. Ninja) have every chart, DOM or watchlist panel as a separate taskbar icon, which makes it a major hassle simply to arrange your screens as you like.

8. Simples

Simples

OHLCV

9. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

We do have the ability to use multiple time frames in a strategy. Portfolio strategy backtesting/trading is going on the feature request list.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    fan27 likes this.
  10. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

We've got that :)

#10     Dec 12, 2018