What exactly is in a candlestick graph that makes traders use it

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by sab1234, Oct 22, 2017.

1. sab1234

sab1234

What makes the open and close of each bar any different from the price fluctuation during the bar? That is why talk about open and close on any period whcih doesnt reflect the markets actual opening and closing?

#11     Oct 22, 2017
  2. For me, I see the close (at least on stocks) as the price that someone is willing to assume the risk of holding overnight / ETH trading. The open is useful for determining the direction of the day's move towards that close.

#12     Oct 22, 2017
    ironchef and comagnum like this.
  3. Somebody some time along the way probably thought open/close were important... became convention. Save your brain some anguish and forget about it. Hi/Lo is much more important at chart extremes.

#13     Oct 22, 2017
  4. sab1234

sab1234

Could you explain what you mean by Hi/Lo( over what period? What do you mean by chart extremes?)

So would recommend not using OHLC at all for markets that are always open since it doesnt really add any extra information? If so then what indicator do you generally use to trade?

#14     Oct 22, 2017
  5. sab1234

sab1234

That makes sense, but for stocks. But whatabout candlesticks on stocks which are shorter than 1 day? What is the use of them?

#15     Oct 22, 2017
  6. If candles have any real value at all... it begins with the daily chart. Intraday candle bodies are not reliable for anything.... which is why I said, "fuggetaboutit"

I've used candles for so long, it seems the natural way to display charts.... but there is no functional difference with bar charts.

#16     Oct 22, 2017
  7. sab1234

sab1234

What about markets that dont close? Is there no value in candle stick analysis

#17     Oct 22, 2017
  8. They still have daily candles for various periods, including daily. All markets still have swing highs/lows... whether differentiated with candles or other makes no difference.

#18     Oct 22, 2017
  9. The direction? I learned charting on daily candles, so now the charts just look more natural even in shorter time frames. As Scataphagos said, candles look pretty.

#19     Oct 22, 2017
  10. Yeah, you can make'm any color you want.

Sierra chart even lets you select....
    Upper wick color
    Lower wick color
    Candle body color
    Candle body outline color

Can be totally different whether it's an up or down candle.

See? Prettier!

#20     Oct 22, 2017