What exactly is a Holy Grail, in terms of characteristics?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by OddTrader, Nov 10, 2006.

1. My answer is most genuine, refreshing, new and proven scientific empirical evidence:

Holy Grail is:

"Rewiring your brain synapses and connecting neurons building new pathways leading to fluency in trading."

And how you do that?

You simply observe market reaction every day, note how market behaves, write in a journal, revise and memorize (not the rote memorization) and provide your brain with plenty of market behaviors and patterns (usually 10 years- 2400 trading days)

Trust me, trading like any other activity involves development of brain and that is quite a hard work.

#41     Feb 26, 2011
  2. bone

bone

RN = dead nuts on.

Find consistency however you can. And there are different ways to do it, and you do not necessarily have to invent something 'new' or 'fresh' to find that consistency. And consistency does not necessarily require an ATS. If it is scalping using X and Y based on a divergence from Z, then fine. If you are selling straddles and buying strangles on options with < AB vol, then fine. Whatever path you find to consistency.

#42     Feb 26, 2011
  3. gtor514

gtor514

The "Holy Grail" of trading is identical to the the holy grail of anything else. The funny thing is, everyone has it, but it's just that most don't recognize it because they've never seen it before.

I would tell you what it looks like but that's impossible because it can't be described but it looks awfully like hard work, determination, and discipline.

Good luck finding it!:D

#43     Feb 26, 2011
  4. Cheese

Cheese

Consistency of failure or success, achieving profitability or not - none of these are the Holy Grail. They are your aims or the failure of your aims.

The Holy Grail is the How. It is the specific How.

And there is a context. It is the trading newcomer or the existing trading amateur at ET. So lets start defining the Holy Grail.
    Does it even exist? Yes it does.
    What is the price of the Holy Grail? Hard work, study, focus, attention and testing for as long as it takes.
    What is its specific purpose? To make net gains daily.
    What is the result of having it? Accumulating daily net gains until you make your money.
    Who can have it? Anyone with sufficient savvy and the right temperament for trading can gain possession of the Holy Grail.
    So is the Holy Grail obtainable by anyone at all? No, of course not; it is beyond many or most because it is neither a quick fix nor a short cut.
    Where is it located? Its best located or used in a volatile and liquid market (eg CL).
    How does it work? It takes net gains from the sequential swings which make up the days price gyrations.
    What does it look like? Its a methodology which shows on the screen in front of you whenever you are trading. This means a system that is reliable and provides your buying and selling triggers.
    :)

#44     Feb 26, 2011
  5. If you want to accumulate net gains lately the closest you can get to Holy Grail is a CD or bond.

The probability of having net gains daily over extended period of time is much less than the probability of the existence of the Holy Grail itself.

You can still become very rich by having down months or even quarters. Just check the performance of some of the turtles who become fund managers and employ trend trading.

#45     Feb 27, 2011
  6. Sorry, I meant to say: "If you want to accumulate net gains daily the closest you can get to Holy Grail is a CD or bond."

#46     Feb 27, 2011
  7. nitro

nitro

Comissions have to be razor thin, a cracker-jack programmer, high speed direct connections, and probably self-clearing. On the order of hundreds of trades per day per instrument, imo.

But my current thinking has me confused on this. You definitely need some sort of regime switching when going from noisy channel to "phrasing." This may be quite a bit easier in practice than I have realized. Only the theory is not so trivial.

#47     Feb 27, 2011
  8. NoDoji

NoDoji

Was it just me or did the Grail seem exceptionally Holy this week?

:cool:

#48     Feb 27, 2011
  9. ...and I thought the Holy Grail was "an ATM machine in the living room".

ES

#49     Feb 27, 2011
  10. You peekin in my windows again?

#50     Feb 27, 2011