What environments are charting software programs developed in?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bungrider, Aug 25, 2003.

1. ramora

ramora

I used the VMWare package for about a year when it was first released to have both windows and linux running at the same time and found it to be a very good approach.

Another option that provides both Windows and Linux is to develop your application in VC++ and then use the WINE package in Linux to run the application.

The WINE package has improved a lot over the past 2 years. The charting program I wrote for myself in VC++ works 100% on both Windows and Linux without a problem. The program turned out much better than I expected.

Now I can do almost everything I want without VMWare under Linux using WINE.

Good Trading!

ramora

#11     Aug 25, 2003
  2. If you know C#, there's really no need to learn another language such as VB or Delphi.

#12     Aug 25, 2003
  3. damir00

damir00 Guest

very good - at least as good as any other, really - linux distribution out of paris. only piece of software i've actually paid money for over the past year.

:)

#13     Aug 25, 2003
  4. I'm glad you believe this. I also believed them with their Visual stuff 6 years ago.

Trader.NET, I'm sure they will also pull the rug from under your C#.NET thingie a couple of years further down! That's how these people do business.

Bewildered.

#14     Aug 25, 2003
  5. monkey

monkey

Will you please stop posting all of these little pictures in your posts? Aside from wasting bandwidth, www.handykult.de (the source of some of these things) is not a source I want to trust to not place cookies or other items on my machine.

This is not a flame... many of your posts are good.

Thanks.

#15     Aug 25, 2003
  6. Trust me since I also make a living on M$ platform besides trading on the side. As matter of fact, one should be able to make best use of any tools offered to provide a solution:)

#16     Aug 25, 2003
  7. Sorry monkey,

This is a valid point. I blindly followed into the steps of other(s) on the ET board without giving it a thought, I should have. I will stop using this.

Nononsense

#17     Aug 25, 2003
  8. RAY

RAY

What are the differences between VB.net and C#.net?

Which is easier? Better? ect.

These are the only two that I am considering.

#18     Aug 30, 2003
  9. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Unfortunately, most trading software is developed by people who don't trade.

The best systems I have seen, are the ones created by or with the input from traders.

#19     Aug 30, 2003
  10. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

you need a very good reason to develop your own charting package.

any of the popular packages would take you years to develop alone (and in the meantime they keep on progressing).
    while you spend all this time on this, hard to master trading itself which is a full time job imho.

don't get me wrong, I created my own front end trading with charting (linked to IB). and I come from the software business and do build for selected clients trading software. this to say, I know a bit about software development.
    I finally decided to build my own platform when several limitations in existing software were not addressed.
    for instance, most charting/automation platform take only charts into consideration (and ignore market information like bid ask, spread, market depth etc..) and most at the time ignored bonds and notes funky fractions.
    so it's only when I got tired to ask them to do something about these, that I finally wrote my own.

no regrets there, but at the same time I count my blessings I was in software biz for 10 years+ .. cause the last thing you want is buggy or crashing software.. so experience count in that respect. with realtime applications dealing with money, you really want things to work reliably. it's not like some medical software applications where people's live are at stake, but still, you want some rock solid software when it comes to your account. at least that's how I look at it.

these software are written in C++ (so are mine) C++ all the way for me.
    when it comes to add ons, broker front ends etc. then C#, Java, .Net, VB why not.
    (I agree with the other poster that I'd rather use a standard language, a language available from more than one software provider).

#20     Aug 30, 2003