What environments are charting software programs developed in?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bungrider, Aug 25, 2003.

1. I've always wondered this. I don't know shit about this sort of thing, so I'm curious about the whole process.

C++? Maybe Neoticker (I think Louis mentioned here liking Borland's C++ builder -- on his recommendation I've been using their C# builder to learn C# and it is really a nice product. Thanks Louis!).

Delphi? (I think ensign must've been developed in Delphi, maybe with a Borland product)?

I guess the key is to have an environment that is database friendly (I've heard that delphi is especially good for database stuff).

What about the big ones, like esignal or qcharts? Is ravenquote/erlangerquote still alive?

2. damir00

damir00 Guest

c++, java, perl/tk(!)...lots of ways to skin that cat.

3. H2O

H2O

I know quite a few develloped in Visual Basic

4. Only if you're writing a program to chart historical data from a database.

Realtime charting programs don't typically depend on disk databases (too slow). The most important environmental factor to developing a realtime charting programs (as the name implies) is the ability to efficiently handle all of the realtime operations that need to occur.

5. I wonft say 100% sure, but 99% sure that eSignal, Qchart or TradeStation is written by C++.
    WealthLabDevelper is written by Delphi.
    You can tell if it's written by JAVA, such as IB-TWS.

6. Dear bungrider,

I was exactly in your situation about 5 years ago. At that time I had enough of the M***ck and the Tr***on and I trew them off my computer because I had understood by that time I was never going to make any money with them.

Since about 2 years I now have a stable "visualization" system - I use a term different from charting because I still change things regularly and can do many things with it that go way beyond what I used to work with.

Oh boy! you don't know what you are getting into! If you work on it a while, I think you will reap the fruits.

I used VB for practical reasons as I was very much engaged in SQLserver and some MSAccess work. VB was rather neat to do this in although I could call myself rather accomplished in C++. I can tell you that going to C++ is not really required, I could do practically everything I had to. Speed has picked up tremendously even for the very fancy things I am getting into once in a while.

If you start an adventure like this now, I would hesitate before picking a language. I kind of got fedup with all the VB version changes and going to VB.net is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Nothing remained compatible, they "improved"VB once more. C++, C#, Delphi?

To be honest what I would do is program it so that it would work under both Windows and Linux - buy yourself some insurance! A neat way to do this if you are now in Windows, get yourself Delphi. If you also have Linux, get Kylix3 from Borland, it's free! Kylix3 is in fact (1) Delphi and (2) C++, you got them both. I am not an expert in Kylix yet but Kylix/Delphi looks very nice to me, it's in fact a very sophisticated object oriented pascal. I am also very impressed with the fantastic database interfaces. You will have to pay for this though as you need the Enterprise version.

That's my story, lots of luck but you will sweat on it!

7. bubba7

bubba7

There is a killer linux crew out there, primarily Paris based and they operate in English. it is an invitation only group I believe.

8. Could it be that you are talking about "Mandrake Linux" or are you specifically talking about Linux people doing trading software. I am very interested to find out.

Thank you!

9. Nononsense,

Thanks very much for all of that great info. I've been buckling down in the past weeks and learning C#/vb.net, and I plan to get some delphi under my belt eventually. The C# is nice since I am noticing it's basically the same thing as Java, and I was guided toward C# a few weeks ago here on ET -- http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19982&perpage=6&pagenumber=2

I don't know anything about linux and have only used windows, so the VB and C# are great in that respect. Right now it would be too ambitious for me to attempt linux and kyrix.

VB6 was the first language I learned (which was earlier this year), and it was a good starting point for me as I am now picking up C# pretty quickly. I was planning on learning delphi soon anyway, and on your advice maybe sometime in the next year I can check out Borland's Kyrix product as it sounds really neat and I would like to be able to do stuff that would run on OS10 in those blazingly fast G5's that just came out.

Correct me if I am wrong, (and like I said earlier, I don't really know jack about most of this), but it is my impression, based on first learning VB6, then C#, and having just started on VB.net, that the more languages you learn, the easier it is to learn additional languages (just like spoken languages), so I am hoping to eventually find my niche and evolve into whatever is the best fit for my trading approaches and all that other stuff.

In the future I will probably set up a dual boot with windows and linux and start fooling around with Kyrix, as it has been mentioned to me before, maybe in a year or so.

Thanks again,
    -b

10. Dear Bungrider,

What you say about many languages is true, but don't get indigestion. Also don't forget: "Jack of all trades, master of none" either.

It is rather difficult now to advise somebody in starting what to choose! In fact a savage battle is going on in the background. In the past, it has been true that great languages lasted a long time. Fortran and especially Cobol are still around - remember the year 2000 fuss with all the old fellows coming back from retirement to do Cobol! C/C++ and Pascal are other examples. In fact I think that currently all great operating systems are in C++, point. You remember PL/1, probably not though IBM used to push this into a lot of shops! So it is a bit like with stocks: if you know how to pick the right one you are going to do OK.

One more tip, if you are serious to use Windows AND Linux, don't only think about dualboot, you will not have the two at the same time. Take a look at www.vmware.com. This enables you to have the two, or even more, running on the same computer at the same time. Then also learn something about Samba which enables Linux to mesh flawlessly into Windows networks.

Good luck to you, come back if you want more. I'll do my best to be of some help.

Nononsense

#10     Aug 25, 2003