What energy market is the best for daytrading

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Trader_Herry, Aug 18, 2006.

1. marketwhizz & Surdo,
    What oil/crude are you talking about?

There are many oil contracts - Light Crude Oil, miNY light crude, brent crude oil.

#11     Aug 20, 2006
  2. The charts look ok, but I'm looking for markets that have a little more volume. The ironic thing is that I look at the DOM, and it seems pretty deep, but the actual contracts traded isn't that high( compared to that of QM). I'm not entirely sure on the tick value, but I THINK it's like $3 or something. Also, with the light volume you don't get "Smooth"moves. It seems like it can jump 3,4, or even 5 price levels pretty quickly. Reminds of the ER2, which I do play, but lightly.

I guess it all depends on your style, scalper, daytrader, etc. Technically I am a day trader, but I go for the bigger moves of the day. So, I get only 2-4 set ups a day. I'm looking for nice moves with a lot of momentum.

To each his own. Take a look at the charts, paper trade your strategy, and maybe you'll find those markets fit you the best. :)

#12     Aug 20, 2006
  3. Mr B

Mr B

WTI on IPE or Brent, the mini on CME Globex is too thick for my liking personally. a lot of spoofing in the WTI can be tedious, I like the Brent, the spoofing is hilariously obvious and it follows the WTI, which gives a nice edge. you can listen to Nymex's awesome pit squawk too.

a lot of people avoid gold as it is too program traded and subject to a lot of OTC activity.

#13     Aug 20, 2006
  4. Surdo

Surdo

I trade NYMEX eMINY Light Sweet crude.

#14     Aug 20, 2006
  5. We are on the same "boat". :)
    So is oil only market which interest you to trade?

I would like to try big-sized oil contacts if it's all electronic with good liquidity.

#15     Aug 21, 2006
  6. For energy products, yes. But I also trade the Euro ( euro fx on globex) ES, NQ, and sometimes the ER2.

#16     Aug 21, 2006
  7. Ex-CIS

Ex-CIS

The big physically settled contracts start trading side-by-side on September 4th for trade date september 5th. Not much longer to wait. In the meantime, they trade on Globex from 3.15pm EST until 5.15pm EST then from 6pm EST until 9.50am EST (next days trade date)

#17     Aug 23, 2006
  8. WinDiff

WinDiff

if you want energy buy energy, if you want profits sell some

#18     Aug 23, 2006
  9. aosnovich

aosnovich

Somewhat like uso for oil?

#19     Aug 29, 2006

10. The ICE WTI contracts are cash-settled, all electronic, and have good liquidity. They are the same size as the full size NYMEX light crude. The ICE daily volume is running a little under the volume on the NYMEX miNY.

#20     Aug 29, 2006