what else in Amibroker shall I pay attention if I want to backtest futures?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by mizhael, Mar 4, 2010.

1. My mistake. IBConnector is built by Amibroker.

But my argument still stands.

#11     Mar 5, 2010
  2. Actually, your argument does not stand. Amibroker has made it clear that they do not intend to support automated trading functionality via IBC professionally. It is an add-in feature not sold as part of the software.

Foremost, AB advertises itself as an analysis tool and that is its focus.

#12     Mar 5, 2010
  3. I suspect your are not interest neutral on the issue of using amibroker for auto-trading/backtesting, given you take it so personally. There is no point to waste your and my time.

It is not the issue amibroker is right or wrong. It is their software can not do auto-trading, therefore backtesting. You are on my ignore list.

#13     Mar 5, 2010
  4. Nothing personal, you're just wrong and I want to make that clear to any prospective users. I will gladly support a product I believe in and use daily, and, will do the opposite for inferior products. I've been using the tool for many years BTW.

Auto-trading, therefore backtesting? Are you really that dense? They have nothing to do with each other, how difficult is that for you to grasp?

#14     Mar 5, 2010

5. Funny but your are right. As soon as I posted, I got attacked by a number of posters who appeared to act as a group. Should be all put on ignore. Smells a rat here.

#15     Mar 5, 2010
  6. and three ET posters attacking me for bashing a trading toy built by a sole developer working out of his garage somewhere n Poland?

#16     Mar 5, 2010
  7. That's your opinion - you've provided no information to validate that opinion, therefore it is worth zero. If you'd like to give details of what you consider a real trading tool, please do, otherwise, you're not adding anything to the discussion.

#17     Mar 5, 2010
  8. NinjaTrader, OpenQuant, TradeStation

Do you know these tools?

#18     Mar 5, 2010
  9. Yup use two out of the three - OpenQuant isn't well supported enough for me. Each is decent at a few areas and weak in others - NT and TS can't do portfolio level testing, whereas AB can. OpenQuant can do portfolio-level, but I prefer RightEdge for support or Tradingblox.

#19     Mar 5, 2010
  10. I've been a TS user since 2004. The autotrading is top-notch but the platform suffers from some major drawbacks, especially when using multiple data streams. I generate all my orders using TS BTW and route them to IB. The backtesting as provided by TS is stuck in 1998, its slow and the features are limited. The lack of robust portfolio testing is sad. *AB blows TS out of the water when it comes to testing 100's of intraday symbols... you ought to properly test this before making any judgements and I'm 100% sure you'd come to the same conclusion as me.

Given you have not addressed any specific pros/cons, but rather, you made a general non-informed comment about the utility of AB, you got the responses you did.

#20     Mar 5, 2010