What else do I need To set up 4 monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ttbodnar, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ellokn

ellokn

This site has good information on multiple monitor systems, cards, etc. Your answer might be here.

www.digitaltigers.com

#31     Jan 16, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

As Matrox has progressed to having more memory on newer cards, seems logical that they would claim "more memory is better".... whether you would see any performance improvement, however, is debatable.

I ran a Win2K rig for 3 years with 4 singlehead ATI cards.. 3 of them had only 4MB RAM and I never noticed slow anything (the other card was an 8MB AIW TV-Tuner).

Also, I believe that G450 is a newer card (??), so likely some benefit there. And, if you've been using a G450, the max resolution you *may* be able to display is 1280x1024 (the spec says max is 1600x1200, but mine will only display 1280x1024 in multi-card)... if that's the case, then 19" is the biggest monitor you can use at native resolution. I doubt you can see any difference between VGA and DVI in a 19"er with a quality VGA [Matrox] card..

#32     Jan 17, 2006
  3. Is there any performance difference between VGA and DVI. DVI equals less overhead compared to analog?

I have 3 - Samsung SyncMaster 930 B 19" and the text is not very clear compared to the CRT's I replaced.

I am running the LCD's at 1280 x 1024. The video card I am using is an Appian 4 - port from 1999, not very high tech I would assume.

Any thoughts?

thanks

#33     Jan 17, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

Maybe try your LCD's on another video card or another machine.... you should be able to determine whether it's the card or the monitor which is a little off. And, do you have ClearType enabled?

#34     Jan 17, 2006
  5. Where do I find clear type to see if it is enabled?

thanks

#35     Jan 17, 2006

6. Display properties, Appearance tab, Effects button, second dropdown window.

st

#36     Jan 17, 2006
  7. I am using W2K and I can't find what you are talking about in the display properties window.

#37     Jan 17, 2006

8. It's a Windows XP feature. Not available in W2K as far as I know.

W2K is over six years old. Time for an upgrade!! :)

st

#38     Jan 18, 2006
  9. I guess next you are going to tell me it's time to turn in my Model T. :)

Thanks for the help.

#39     Jan 18, 2006
  10. gnome

gnome

If you upgrade to XP, be sure to get XP Pro... its "extended support" from Microsoft (security patches, mostly) will continue 5 years beyond when support for XP Home ends.

#40     Jan 18, 2006