What else do I need To set up 4 monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ttbodnar, Jan 12, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

Not true. 8MB of memory per port is plenty for a trading rig.

#21     Jan 14, 2006
  2. This card might be interesting if you are set on a quad card.

http://www.evga.com/about/pressrelease/default.asp?release=1/6/2006

But like someone else said if the card goes bad you might lose all of your video. Also being a new card it might have some growing pains. But I like the price.

Thanks for all the input, I learned alot.

regards,

Bruce

#22     Jan 14, 2006
  3. mokwit

mokwit

Dumb question: Will PCIe card run in a PCI slot. I would not expect to get the PCIe performance benefit but was wondering if it will physically work, or is it totally incompatible/unworkable.

This will simplify things for me as I can buy 2x Maxtor PCIe dual head within 15 minutes.

#23     Jan 14, 2006
  4. mokwit

mokwit

Actually, while I'm here would like to make sure that there is no simple solution as I saw a monitor ins a shop window displaying the same "check signal cable" error mesaage that I now get, altough the problem started with #2 port and that is now completely dead - no backlight comes on at pre boot connection.

Problem started with #2 monitor/port occasionally showing the "no connection: Check signal cable" error mesaage on switch on, pre PC boot/windows boot. resolved hit and miss by randomly fiddling e.g swapping around cables worked once as did switching monitor numbers in XP. Probelm was solved for a long time by switching 1&2 ports to DVI from analog, but #3 port had problem as it would flickr on DVI but was stable with analog

Next stage: After I went started up with appian leads disconnected and an nvidia connected so as to enter bios and switch off hyperthreading #2 monitor port absolutely black at startup - could be coaxed back to life by random fiddling for a while but is now dead a and #3 flickers between image and black screen. I think the key here is not switching off hyperthreading but something to do with physical cable disconnection on a deteriorating card as I have done this several times previously without incident.

Right now with the Samsungs I use for 1&2 the #1 port is now giving me the "check signal cable" - no amount of switching around and between DVI and abnalog will get rid of it as it would before.

#24     Jan 14, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

No. But if you have a newer systemboard with the various PCIE slots, Matrox has a dualhead PCIE X16 card and a dualhead PCIE X1 card.

#25     Jan 14, 2006
  6. Desk space?

#26     Jan 14, 2006
  7. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

If you want a silent PC, then carefully check these cards. While the ones for the AGP slot are fanless at least one of them for the PCIe slot is actively cooled and comes with a very noisy fan. I read the complaint of one user who said the card was louder than his CPU- and Harddisk fan combined.

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#27     Jan 15, 2006
  8. mackalyan

mackalyan

I'm using a PCI mother board which does not have SLI or Nforce can i still use a ATI and a Matrox Card together

#28     Jan 15, 2006
  9. gnome

gnome

Probably, but you should post the model of video cards you are considering.

#29     Jan 15, 2006
  10. davez

davez

Hi Gnome. I thought so too - that 8MB is good enough. I've had a G200MMS quad and 32 MB AGP G450 dual running well together for years, and slowing worked up to having all dual input (analog/digital) LCD's. So the 4 LCD's on the G200MMS use digital input, but the two LCDs on the (analog only) G450 use analog input.

I was debating whether to replace the G450 with a 16 MB pci G200-dual card I have, so I could get digital output to the last two LCD's. So I asked Matrox, and they said its better to leave the G450 installed, as its 32 MB is better than 16 MB. And supposedly AGP is faster than PCI, also favoring the G450. But I thought maybe the direct digital ouptut (no digital-analog conversion) of the G200 might make it better (plus provide a better signal to the LCD). But no, Matrox said the higher memory of the G450 makes it the better choice? Would you agree?

Thanks
    davez

#30     Jan 16, 2006