What effect does trading stress have on the heart?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bat1, Apr 16, 2013.

1. bat1

bat1

Wonder it there's any research been done on this subject?

With the effects of trading stress daily we could be
    shorting our lives ....and not even know it!

I'm sure there's been traders who had heart attacks
    just how many is the question...

2. toolazy

toolazy

pretty sure trading is shortening life as one has to be in special state to win.

Longterm/swing seem better.

However, Livermore, Rivkin(AUS) suicides do not bode well.

Keep it easy, if you want to enjoy fruits of success.

3. slumdog

slumdog

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dKYM62qSA_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heart disease and heart attacks maybe it kill loads of traders, i would also guess the suicide rate is higher among traders than most other jobs.
    As well as stress, the sedentary lifestyle of staring at the screens all day isnt going to do the heart any good either.

4. Stress causes your body to secrete various stress related hormones, such as cortisol and adrenaline, for the primitive "fight or flight" response. The damage to the heart occurs during a prolonged period of stress, known as chronic stress, when blood platelets bind to the coronary artery, thus reducing blood flow to your heart until your heart cannot receive nutrition and dies.

5. Body likes short term stress. Loves those adrenaline(aka Epinephrine) highs.

Downside is addictive behavior. Watch out!:)

6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You should visit your family doctor...he/she will give you the scoop on the impact of stress on anyone's heart.

Its one of those commonly known topics at almost every health care provider, known about by almost every doctor, almost every medical website and known by most jobs that require annual physicals.

Thus, I'm a little surprise that you're wondering if there's any link between stress and heart problems or any other health related problems. You really should visit your doctor and talk to him/her about it...its a common problem (stress related health issues).

Also, most decent jobs will include free of charge "stress tests" into the annual physicals if you request such and so do most private health care providers if you're paying for private health insurance.

Below info I pulled from an old brochure from many years ago given to me by my family doctor about Stress Warning Signs and Symptoms after I had problems with dizziness and all the tests he did showed me in perfect health:

Physical Symptoms

Aches and pains
    Diarrhea or constipation
    Nausea, dizziness, blurry vision
    Chest pain, rapid heartbeat
    Heart Attacks, Strokes
    Loss of sex drive
    Frequent colds

Emotional Symptoms

Moodiness
    Irritability or short temper
    Agitation, inability to relax
    Feeling overwhelmed
    Sense of loneliness and isolation
    Depression or general unhappiness

Behavioral Symptoms

Eating more or less
    Sleeping too much or too little
    Isolating yourself from others
    Procrastinating or neglecting responsibilities
    Using alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs to relax
    Nervous habits (e.g. nail biting, pacing)

Cognitive Symptoms

Memory problems
    Inability to concentrate
    Poor judgment
    Seeing only the negative
    Anxious or racing thoughts
    Constant worrying

By the way, I know a several people in very stressful related jobs and they have serious problems with "a few" of the above. Some of my friends are institutional traders, corporate lawyer, military officer, police officer and human resource executive.

Anyways, I eventually had my doctor do a "exercise stress test".

Exercise Stress Test @ http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003878.htm

I now take daily long strenuous walks...works wonders on the body and mind.

7. bat1

bat1

Thank you for posting this it shows you care:)