what does $UVOL & $DVOL represent

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by bundlemaker, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Bundle,

Its not measuring ticks man, its measuring the cumulative total of volume for each individual stock that is either up or down on the session. This is common sense...

#11     Apr 27, 2004
  2. Virtuoso, you're not getting it man :)

Once a certain number of shares trade up at some point in the day, how is it possible for that number to ever go down during that same day. That is against common sense. But, looking at a chart, that's exactly what's happening. Think before you speak.

#12     Apr 27, 2004
  3. Bro you are a fucking idiot. I don't know how much more clear I can make this, but lets try one more time. The values are comprised of all UP, DOWN, and FLAT stocks in the market. So if at any point during the session a stock is up their total volume gets added to the UPVOL for the day, but if that same stock should slip below unchanged and go NEGATIVE then it will be SUBTRACTED (get it numbnuts?) from the UPVOL and added to the DVOL... OK? Now who is the fuckin moron who needs to think before they post on ET? Get a clue...

#13     Apr 27, 2004
  4. Having a bad day are we, don't bother to reply, you're now on ignore. By the way, I'm terribly impressed with your elegant use of the English language.

#14     Apr 27, 2004
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Bundle, the question you're asking obviously has nothing to do with up and down volume. Perhaps if you restated it . . .

#15     Apr 27, 2004
  6. db, thanks. I will try.

This may well be one of those situations where my assumptions about what up vol and dn vol means was just totally wrong. I want to know, because I believe that you better know exactly what the hell the data your using means.

It previously, had been my assumption that up vol was a cummulative count of any volume that took place on an uptick. Dn vol vice versa.

Now, I see another way to look at it: up vol is ALL the volume the stock traded so far today if the stock is trading ABOVE yesterday's close. Vice versa for dn vol.

If the latter is correct, then I have been under a huge misunderstanding. And perhaps not as useful (in the way I wished to use it) as I first thought.

Either way, I'd like to see a definitive answer from the people who calculate the numbers. Perhaps I am a moron. The world is full of them. I happen to know lots of rich morons. These people tend to make damn sure they understand every nuance of what they do. That's all I'm attempting. I know many, many traders who think my first scenario is what these symbols mean.

#16     Apr 27, 2004
  7. Dustin

Dustin

Here's a screenshot of $UVOL with T&S...

#17     Apr 27, 2004
  8. adonos

adonos

I use eSignal which has $UVOL and $DVOL. I am not sure about your charting software, however in eSignal, these values represent the amount of volume going to stocks that are up or down on the day on the NYSE. This value can go down when stocks change from being up to being down or vice versa.

For instance, lets take LU which always generates a lot of volume. Lets say it is up $.02 on the day so far and its volume is 50M shares, therefore its 50M will be counted on $UVOL. If there is a wave of selling in LU such that its price is now down $.02 then its 50M shares will not be counted in $UVOL, but in $DVOL. So $UVOL goes down by 50M and $DVOL goes up by 50M.

I think what you are thinking these refer to is volume on bid vs volume on ask, if I am not mistaken, and that is not the case.

Hope this helps

#18     Apr 27, 2004