what does $UVOL & $DVOL represent

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by bundlemaker, Apr 26, 2004.

1. I've just started looking at these. I thought they were cummulative volume figures. What's got me stumped is, how in the world can the value for either symbol decrease during the day?

For instance, create a line chart with any interval you choose. If the symbol is truly cummulative, then the line should never retrace by any amount, but obviously it does.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks

2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Are you referring to volume of advancers vs volume of decliners?

3. db,

Yes

4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

See the "Justin Mamis and his indicators" thread in this forum.

5. I use these as part of my "market internals" workspace - I too don't get why it drops off but I believe it is cumulative because if you look at the end of the day, the total of $UVOL and $DVOL (or $UVOLQ & $ $DVOLQ) seems to basically match the total shares traded for the NYSE (or Nasdaq) for that given day.

Perhaps it has something to do with how the volume is verified or tabulated - maybe it only accumulates the total of the close of whatever time-frame bar you use???? I'm guessing...

Please let me know if you find out.

Thanks,

Paul

6. 3dog

3dog

Up, Down and Unchanged volumes get sorted into those groups based on the stocks *price* -- and any single stock may be counted in all 3 at different points during the day.

7. Wow :eek:

8. OK instead of just being a smart ass... stocks are crossing back and forth through their unchanged lines all day -- hence the fluctuations in the totals.

9. Sorry, but I don't think you guys are following my line of thought. Perhaps a concrete example. Lets say that at some point in time during the day, say 10:15, $UVOL has a value of 553,133 (just a made up #). At 10:37, no matter what, that value should be higher. Once 553,133 trades on upticks, it can't go back down. Yet it does, if you look at a chart of the symbol. It's this going back down that confuses me.

10. Dustin

Dustin

I've also wondered this. Have you done a web search for the calculation?

#10     Apr 27, 2004