What does Price Action Mean to you?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by kevinmclark, Sep 20, 2005.

1. hcour

hcour Guest

I think the EUR/USD 2hr chart is nice illustration of some "price action" principles. The wk starts w/a huge gap down, then a WRB down closing on the low. Then the next 18 bars slowly, ever so slowly, creep back up to that resistance at the top of that WRB bar, where there are then a couple upthrusting tails on wide spreads closing on the lows, then the 4:00 bar a WRB down closing on the low that pretty much wipes out the gains of those previous 18 bars in one fell swoop. That's "price action", baby!

H

#21     Sep 20, 2005
  2. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to this chart, via my charting package, but I can visualize what you are describing. Thanks!

#22     Sep 20, 2005

3. I don't agree with that statement. Volume and price IMO are complimentary - they drive each other. I will say that while there are lesser "quantifiable" measures/setups of pure volume, there do exist make-it-or-break-it price points where volume is the contingent factor.

As far as what price action is, look at this way:

At least two people have to agree on a price given a set of information. The information remains constant and the price does not. That's action.

:D

#23     Sep 20, 2005
  4. ====================
    Yes;
    lots of prices/experience are one of the best indicators.

A stab thru resistance may not mean much,
    not limited to ,but especially @ open;
    in good downtrends like airlines.

And even a price stab thru support;
    in strong uptrends like oil/gas sector , may not mean much:cool:

#24     Sep 20, 2005
  5. Agreed, but this phenomenon is not an absolute. Sometimes price will reverse with heavy volume. Sometime price will drift quite a bit lower on almost no volume. Volume is not a reliable indicator of what price will do at selected points.

Price remains the only absolute.

Regards
    Oddi

#25     Sep 20, 2005
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Understand. I'm just trying to help Kevin draw some general conclusions, because be has not enjoyed clarity in this area. I'm quite sure that he has observed only a fraction of the charts/price action that perhaps you and I have. It's just that these threads get started and pretty soon the only concensus that is achieved is confusion!

Many factors are involved when making trading decisions on "price action". I don't believe the TICK has even been mentioned here. I've tried to stick close to the basics just for clarity. Under certain conditions when price falls thru support on lowered volume, a good signal is still given. You're so right.....it varies greatly. A novice though, can only become confused when he hears these seemingly contradictory statements. As you and I know, it usually takes years to digest the real rules of good trading.

Appreciate your feedback, Oddi!

#26     Sep 20, 2005
  7. Cheese

Cheese

What does Price Action Mean to me?
    Nothing.

Its useful to be able to read price alone and act upon it. But you are NEVER going to amass a fortune from any market with such knowledge.
    :)

#27     Sep 20, 2005
  8. Huh? If you are not trading prices, what are you trading?

#28     Sep 20, 2005
  9. Cheese

Cheese

The question is price action alone, yes or no?
    Too difficult for you perhaps?
    :)

#29     Sep 20, 2005
  10. BSAM

BSAM

Cheese.....

Please explain what method works for you.

#30     Sep 20, 2005