What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by QuikrRetirement, May 11, 2010.

1. What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

All this talk about "stimulus packages" and "bailouts"...

A billion dollars...

A hundred billion dollars...

Eight hundred billion dollars...

One TRILLION dollars...

What does that look like? I mean, these various numbers are tossed around like so many doggie treats, so I thought I'd take Google Sketchup out for a test drive and try to get a sense of what exactly a trillion dollars looks like.

We'll start with a $100 dollar bill. Currently the largest U.S. denomination in general circulation. Most everyone has seen them, slighty fewer have owned them. Guaranteed to make friends wherever they go.

$100
    [​IMG]

A packet of one hundred $100 bills is less than 1/2" thick and contains $10,000. Fits in your pocket easily and is more than enough for week or two of shamefully decadent fun.

$10,000
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100 packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk around with it.

$1,000,000 (one million dollars)
    [​IMG]

While a measly $1 million looked a little unimpressive, $100 million is a little more respectable. It fits neatly on a standard pallet...

$100,000,000 (one hundred million dollars)
    [​IMG]

And $1 BILLION dollars... now we're really getting somewhere...

$1,000,000,000 (one billion dollars)
    [​IMG]

Next we'll look at ONE TRILLION dollars. This is that number we've been hearing so much about. What is a trillion dollars? Well, it's a million million. It's a thousand billion. It's a one followed by 12 zeros.

You ready for this?

It's pretty surprising.

Go ahead...

Scroll down...

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you $1 trillion dollars...

$1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion dollars)

[​IMG]

2. come to think of it, Franklin looks a little like Jack Benny.

[​IMG]

The good old days

3. Now please multiply that by about 80 to see how much we owe in unfunded liabilities

4. Sevenout

Sevenout

Your illustration looks a bit misleading to me.

Here's my math -

$100 bill = .005 inch

$10,000 = .5 inch (not including the wrapper which would make a big difference)

1 million dollars (in hundreds) = 4.16 feet tall

1 billion dollars = 4167 feet tall

1 trillion dollars over 789 miles tall!

1 trillion dollars in 1 dollar bills - standing on edge - using nautical miles - would encircle the earth...over 3.5 times!

5. these are $100 bills. if you read from the top, you will get that.

6. Sevenout

Sevenout

I get it, your pictures don't get it. A trillion is much much larger.
    Look at the 1 million pic. If you stacked all those bills would it be over 4 feet tall?
    Nope...I know its a fucking cartoon but the scale is misleading.

7. The volume of a single bill is around 2.61"x6.14"x.0043" = .0689 in^3, (dimensions according to the internets)

1 Trillion/100 x .0689 = 689092200 in^3 which is the total volume of all the bills

689092200 in^3 / 48 in = 14356087 in^2 is the area covered by a 4' high stack of bills.

Take the square root to find how many inches on each side a 4' high stack of bills would cover. Divide by 12 to find that a trillion dollars worth of 100 dollar bills stacked 4' high would cover an area 315' x 315'

This doesn't include the significant increase due to packing gaps, etc.

The OP seems pretty close.

8. what $1T will look like in a year:

[​IMG]

9. sweet post

10. I don't have that much yet.

• 1.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
    #10     May 12, 2010