what does Jim Roger have to say about the genocide in Tibet?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chewbacca, Mar 22, 2008.

1. There are many articles on major US media
    describing the crackdown as "harsh".
    From this eyewitness report by James Miles, journalist with The Economist, it seems that the Chinese police were too timid in their response. What will US government do if this riot happenes in US? US cops shoot whenever they feel the need of self-defense.
    During the Hurricane Katrina, US soldiers carry weapons on the street even though there was no riot. I found this one when searching Hurricane Katrina on youtube, a propaganda piece, but an interesting comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD4CWrX9wMY

#41     Mar 22, 2008
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Over time China is going to become more free and open. As the Government of China and the Chinese people see things they are one nation, but they have three different types of government in place. The government in Bejing is of course an authoritarian type, however Hong Kong and Tawain are both fairly free and open (make no mistake about it, the govt in China considers Tawain as a part of China). The people in China see this and typically freedom begets more freedom.

#42     Mar 23, 2008
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

BTW, I'd suggest that if you do not already have an itunes account you should get one. Then go to ItunesU. Stanford University and Bowdien College both have a wealth of information available on China in various lecture series that they have for FREE on Itunes.

#43     Mar 23, 2008
  4. http://www.youtube.com/user/speakercn

#44     Mar 23, 2008
  5. Read some history before you disparage others mental capacity.

Hawaii was annexed into the US in a coup staged by Americans, supported by US armed forces in the name of US commercial interests. Ironic that you're not even aware of this yet you go on and on about China and Tibet.

Martin

#45     Mar 23, 2008
  6. Actually He moved to Singapore. He did NOT move to China.

Mr. Rogers is also correct that in SOME ways China is more capitalist than the US. How do I know this? I travel to China several times a year and have done so for five years now. I have been to just about every major city and a lot of towns that required many hours of car time each.

If I want to buld a factory in the US I have to get government approval and often times its from government idiots that may not approve it for the simpe reason they don't want what ever your selling. Try to build an oil refinery near where you currently live and see how capitalist your local, state, and federal government are.

Some of the things that the government in the US (right or wrong) controls AND enforces that China does not
    1. unemployment insurance
    2.OSHA
    3 EPA (some but very little and depends on location)
    4. zoning restrictions up the ass in the US
    5. minimum wage ( on the books in some places but not enforced and low enough to have a small effect compared to the true market pricing of labor)
    6. no drinking age
    7. you can buy a cuban cigar in china
    8. you can leave and become a citizen of another country and not have to keep paying income taxes like you might have to in the US.
    9. I cant even burn leaves in my backyard without taking a trip to the local DNR office and getting the governments permission and they don't give permisison on Sundays

Yes they have a one party political system but thats where the 'communist" tag ends.

but all things being equal if you want to open a factory its a lot easier and cheaper to do so in China than it is to in the US. Its also a whole lot easier and cheaper to keep it running in China than it is the US.

China is business and market friendly(in a relative sense) and getting local leaders to aid in the process is a lot easier than getting the pencil pushers in the US to hep you out.

I dont know too many people that say the Federal government was wrong in sending in the troops to keep the Union together when a few states wanted to leave back around 1861. This doesnt appear to be much different from Chinas point of view( I don't agree but I do understand)

For the record I think the killings in Tibet is awful and I hope they find peace soon.

#46     Mar 24, 2008
  7. I bet 90% of Americans don't know where Singapore is on the map.

30% don't know where China is.

80% don't know where Tibet is.

Because many Americans don't read, they just listen to the media. They only
    hear what the media want them to
    hear.

It is pointless to argue with those people. They think they are well-informed and get all the truth about everything.

#47     Mar 24, 2008
  8. I wholeheartedly agree! The most ignorant, stupid and mis-informed people generally are Americans.
    Dumb as dogshit they are!

..and what's with the accent? Sounds like they are trying to talk with a mouthful of urine!

#48     Mar 24, 2008
  9. Reminds of the time I was in Circular Quay in Sidney at a "high-end"wine shop. The sales whore was trying to pump us on some 3 buck ozzie piss from the Hunter Valley.

I said this is swill...this doesn't even come close to even the worst wines we have in California.

Her response was ....They make wine in California?

#49     Mar 24, 2008
  10. I haven't read this whole thread, but attended a small presentation Rogers made in Singapore where he mouthed PRC propaganda about Taiwan - one COUNTRY I don't believe he ever visited.

He has picked up too much propaganda in support of his own 'buy China' thesis, and it doesn't wear well.

Rogers' fault is that he always takes black & white, absolutist arguments, i.e. China is good, everything opposed is bad. Takes his investment thesis and extends it everywhere. I'm sure he's right on China as a long-term investment case, but his politics are only 'convenient.' Probably a BIG point of separation between him and Soros I would bet.

#50     Mar 24, 2008