What does it take to become a currency trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Billy Zane, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Hi all,

I live in Adelaide, Australia and am determined to make a career as a currency trader for a large Investment Bank. I actually stumbled across this site looking for information regarding the qualifications and the necessary steps involved in becoming a currency trader.

Adelaide is not exactly a financial hub of the world, and as such, I have not been able to contact anyone who has the experience or know-how to point me in the right direction.

I would sincerely appreciate any information any one could give. References to useful/informative web-sites, or suggestions on any useful books to read would be kindly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

Billy Zane.

2. Welcome to elitetrader.com!

Perhaps it would be helpful if you could explain your reasons why you are so sure you want to become a currecy trader. I could understand how someone may know for sure that he wants to be a day trader, but why currencies in particular?

I personally don't know how to become a currency trader, but I would think one of the most natural ways would be to trade stocks first, then grain or bond futures, and then after a few years try currencies. But like I said, I really don't know much about this anyway.

3. bone

bone

If you insist on getting in with a 'Large Investment Bank', then you will have to get an MBA or another advanced degree from a top-five American school, the London School of Economics, or Cambridge. Sorry - but that's what they seem to demand. A good friend of mine was a currency trader for a major Japanese bank - he is a Chicago MBA.

4. Even it's nesseccery to have thoses degrees if you have
    real successfull record?

5. canuck

canuck

currency trading for a big firm is like all other positions at big firms, they like that you have a degree from a big-name college. Having said that, F/X trading usually has more turnover than other more prized areas, such as fixed income, and you might be able to get in as an associate for a short period, then move up as full time trader.