What does it say about someone when they repeatedly imply they have strong ethics?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Cutten, Dec 20, 2008.

1. To understand why people unquestionably follow leadership (including sociopaths) , even though it may be counter to their personal beliefs, read up on the milgram experiment. Quite shocking, yet very enlightening experiment on human nature and why people tend to blindly do what they are told.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

#61     Dec 22, 2008
  2. milgram experiment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIWWYljYwpw

in consulting i encountered 2 types of dishonesty

1) the deliberate active deceit, the actor did it knowingly, deliberately, and even enjoyed doing it (usually in a managerial, HR, or sales role)

2) the passive role - not doing the direct deceit, but carrying on the process and communication with full knowledge that what they were converying was false and harmfull

#62     Dec 22, 2008
  3. jane

jane

For me its definitely a red flag - like the person who says "I wouldn't lie" - That tells me the person is a liar.

People who dont lie dont have to tell you - same with ethics - unless its a discussion on ethics

#63     Dec 22, 2008
  4. Is like the person who gives you an explanation that you haven’t asked for. It tells you they are guilty of at least one of the things that will be addressed.

#64     Dec 22, 2008
  5. Humpy

Humpy

Just another viewpoint, but have you ever noticed that a lot of accusations ( especially with politicians ) would be more applicable to themselves than the accused party ?

#65     Dec 23, 2008
  6. Right, and it starts with the barbed wire of voice mail.

#66     Dec 23, 2008
  7. Wonder if optimizing the behavior demonstrated in the Milgram experiment is what military basic trainings breakdown of defiance is about. I'm done wondering.

#67     Dec 23, 2008
  8. hughb

hughb

LOL, yes. People see faults in others that they are most familiar within themselves. There's one chatter here who posts, "you're projecting your inadequicies onto me" in every other post he makes. And all of his other posts is calling someone a loser. Good point.

#68     Dec 23, 2008
  9. karol88

karol88

Lieberman writes some easy to read, useful stuff...but some of his methods are slightly manipulative, and there are people that can see through them (without having any psych background).... so his methods won't work with everyone.
    You are better off reading Proverbs :D

#69     Dec 24, 2008
  10. Trust is a weird thing. It's more on the person interpretting than the person actually saying it. Sort of like believing.

"Believe me... etc. etc. etc."

It's more about whether you agree or not to the idea the person is speaking about.

The typical application is Warm Reading 101. You start off pitching the guy with what he agrees on and leading that "trust" towards what you are really trying to pitch. It happens all the time with psychology books and often in ET (intentionally or unintentionally)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_reading

#70     Dec 24, 2008