What does gun violence really COST

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

It would certainly appear that you are spot on. Can see that it is raining, knows the why behind it raining, but lacks the sense to get out of the rain.

#41     Jul 6, 2015

2. You start to get rid of guns by making them illegal. Barring that, you put heavy regulations on their sale and use and type one can buy.

If Adam Lanza's mother could only have one revolver more of those parents would probably still have their children.

Guns do not keep us safe. They do the opposite.

#42     Jul 6, 2015
  3. wjk

wjk

I basically disagree with most of your thoughts on whether guns make us safe or not. I do believe in responsible ownership. I've known too many people who own guns that shouldn't, and I really hate people who show me their gun while inadvertently pointing the barrel at me. That really pisses me off. If you point a barrel at someone while showing them a gun, you shouldn't own a gun. Doesn't matter if it's not loaded.

Regarding Lanza: That kid should have never been taken to the range and taught how to shoot, and he absolutely should not have had access to unsecured guns, especially with his mental condition and his routine angry outbursts. The mother was the first killed by her irresponsibility. That said, her lack of common sense does not give you or anyone else the right to disarm me. You can't possibly know what an individual's needs are regarding defense.

Why don't you try this. Go through the worst hood in Detroit or Chicago at night unarmed. See how long you last. See if your beloved government will make you safe then. You may find you would need more than a pistol if you were armed, and you may find there is no one around except better armed assailants in large numbers who do not have your best interests in mind.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    #43     Jul 6, 2015
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Yes, and please elaborate on how you would accomplish this. Simply saying "You get rid of guns" isn't a plan.

You mean like the regulations in Chicago/Illinois?

It's likely Adam Lanza would have brought more revolvers. For every one example you have on a Sandy Hook tragedy I can show you 10 where a gun saved someone's life in a home invasion, break in, etc.

Guns keep people safe. You're just wrong on this, sorry.

#44     Jul 6, 2015
  5. Max E.

Max E.

Ex-CNN Reporter with Concealed Carry License Kills Would-Be Robber

Two former CNN employees were involved in a shootout with a robber in an Albuquerque motel room Tuesday night, with one of them pulling a gun and killing the man.

Former CNN anchor Lynne Russell and her husband former CNN reporter Chuck de Caro were in Albuquerque to get dinner for a friend. While de Caro was showering, a man accosted Russell in the parking lot and demanded to be let into her room.

As Russell came in, de Caro left the shower and also became a hostage. But the husband and wife duo were both legally carrying firearms and are reportedly expert shots. When Russell handed her husband her purse, she also snuck him her weapon.

What followed was a one-liner worthy of an action movie. “‘Is there anything in here we can give him?'” Russell asked.

“Oh, yes, there is,” he responded

The robber reportedly began firing first. But de Caro pulled his wife’s weapon and killed the man, despite being shot several times. Even as he was bleeding badly, he reached for his own gun.

The robber was ruled dead on the scene. Authorities say de Caro was shot three times in non-vital areas, and is expected to survive.

Watch the report from NBC below:
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/ex-cnn-reporter-with-concealed-carry-license-kills-would-be-robber/

#45     Jul 6, 2015
  6. Max E.

Max E.

Former CNN Anchor Tells Gun Control Activists to ‘Shut the F*ck Up’

Former CNN anchor Lynne Russell and former reporter Chuck de Caro came back into the news cycle on June 30, after they worked together to use a concealed firearm to defend themselves from a robber. Russell later spoke about how having a gun “absolutely” saved their lives, and had some tough words for those who do not own guns, yet advocate for government control.

“If you don’t want to carry, please don’t.” Russell said. “Then, shut the f–k up about it. Make your own decisions.“

Russell went on to say that “the discussion over the debate to own a gun is just ridiculous. As Americans we have the right to bear arms and as humans the right to protect ourselves. I’m sure that the man who shot my husband did not have a gun permit.”

The couple stopped at a motel during their cross-country road trip, when they were confronted by Tomorio Watson, who used a gun to take them both hostage and demand their possessions. De Caro and Russell were both reported as good shots who were legally permitted to carry firearms, and though De Caro received non-life-threatening shots in the fray, Russell told Fox 411 that she thanks the Second Amendment for allowing her to possess the weapon she sneaked to her husband.

“Criminals will always have guns. The rest of us legally obtain our gun permits.”

In terms of what the government should do, Russell gave a had a straightforward proposal to the repeated discussion surrounding the topic. “If you committed a violent crime you can’t get a gun permit. Simple law.”
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/former-cnn-anchor-tells-gun-control-activists-to-shut-the-fck-up/

#46     Jul 6, 2015

7. Yeah, two or three kids under 15 died today. Just the price of staying safe I guess. Never mind the other thirty. They probably all deserved it.

#47     Jul 6, 2015
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Futurecurrents, are you paying attention?

#48     Jul 7, 2015
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

How many were killed with legally owned weapons?

Of the ones that were killed with illegally obtained firearms, how would you get rid of those? Pass more gun laws when the ones already in place don't work?

Feel free to (try to) answer any of these questions (again).

#49     Jul 7, 2015
  10. nitro

nitro

#50     Jul 24, 2015