What does gun violence really COST

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Jun 18, 2015.

1. wjk

wjk

Apache wins. But what if the house the pilot has to open fire on contains his relatives, or friends? Will his paycheck be worth it?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    #32     Jul 5, 2015
    Tsing Tao likes this.

2. Stupid reason. Doesn't work. Unless it is loaded and ready for your children to shoot each other a gun is pretty useless. It is more likely to kill you or a relative than a rapist or killer.

Owning a gun for protection is a joke. If it's ready to use it's dangerous. If it's safely locked away it's useless for a home invasion.

Face it. You just like guns. It's got nothing to do with practicality.

#33     Jul 5, 2015
  3. nitro

nitro

#34     Jul 6, 2015
    tom2 likes this.
  4. Sorry futurecurrents, but a firearm is the best means of protection.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...ther-one-of-those-rare-self-defense-shootings

There have been a large amount of home defense justifiable shootings covered in the media in recent years. In Detroit the police are not able to respond to home invasions, so they have warned the public to purchase firearms to protect themselves. This has resulted in many burglars being shot and its often carried on the local news.

I have had family members scare off burglars with shotguns, and in one incident the shotgun was not even loaded. The burglars were outside and in the process of breaking in, but my cousin grabbed a nearby shotgun that was not even loaded and went thru the process of racking the pump action (which is unmistakable and terrifying) and the criminals could see him from the backyard porch thru the window. They scattered and ran for their lives. He has young children and did not have that gun loaded, but its mere presence made a dramatic difference.

I keep loaded firearms around, but do not have children, so I do not have to worry about them accidently shooting themselves.

The federal courts have recently ruled that there are many modern gun safety devices that will allow adults to access loaded firearms quickly enough to prevent many home invasions, while at the same time preventing young children from accessing them. Some of these are designed to open based only off of preprogrammed finger prints and can sit right at a bedside or other area.

http://www.pe.com/articles/court-772031-heller-defense.html

#35     Jul 6, 2015
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Yeah, I suppose. Though I sorta figured that if he stated stuff as fact, he would have done his research first.

#36     Jul 6, 2015
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

First, no one is using muskets anymore. Second, there are well over three hundred million firearms in the US. If you think that won't have an impact on even the world's most advanced military, you're a complete idiot. Lastly, a good portion of US soldiers and police would (thankfully) resist engaging the population directly in a full on revolution.

#37     Jul 6, 2015
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

You've thrown around this "more likely" horseshit in the past. Do you have supporting commentary? My handgun is under the bed in a bio-metric safe. The alarm is triggered, my hand drops to the safe and I get my weapon. My kid can put his hands on the safe all day, doesn't have my print - can't get the gun.

Want to try again for the bonus round?

Face it, your "opinion" is at odds with millions who keep firearms for protection. Everyone else is wrong, is that it?

Or you could answer the question you've still never answered successfully - how would you get rid of all the guns?

#38     Jul 6, 2015
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Ok, I guess since you've ignored the "how would you get rid of guns" question now twice, that you simply can't answer it. You join FC for failure in that respect, but have heart, no one seems to be able to answer that.

And without being able to remove guns, all you're doing is shouting at the rain. I'll leave you to it.

#39     Jul 6, 2015
  9. Nitro is the living embodiment of a high IQ type with no common sense...

#40     Jul 6, 2015