What does everyone do for streaming news?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Surreal, Aug 25, 2004.

1. I got NTKN to work and am very happy with it. I have canceled TTN. NTKN is awesome with futures whereas TTN just focuses on stocks. I won't even start to say what the negative points are on TTN. NTKN has a futures and equities channels. I have had both of them running now for 2 weeks at the same time (TTN since January). NTKN will come out with news 70% of the time faster than TTN. I also love the scan they do of currencies, metals and other futures markets. Also, Andy is extremely diligent and helpful at NTKN. I hope they will stick around.

I strongly recommend a trial if you are looking for a good and well priced news service.

#51     Oct 15, 2004
  2. How can you trade without knowing what's happening? But you are maybe a scalper?

#52     Oct 22, 2004
  3. is the best value out there
    I did the free trial and found it a good service plus the owners are hungry gogetters it seems

#53     Oct 22, 2004
  4. TTN has been on a downhill slide. It was an easy switch. NTKN has some growing pains but they are very aggressive about getting better and will listen to suggestions. I think they have a good plan with a good CEO. Pretty sharp group of guys.

#54     Oct 22, 2004
  5. Cutten

Cutten

What if you have a position on just as a major piece of news comes out that moves the market heavily against you?

Also, a powerful move that is caused by news is likely to unfold somewhat differently to one that is not caused by (publicly available) news. Other types of news have such a large impact that there is quite a lag time before it is fully priced in, which you can exploit.

#55     Oct 22, 2004
  6. "... economic numbers the second they can be legally released..."

Nice. So are you guys as fast as Bloomberg or Reuters? Can I save myself the cost of a terminal and get NTKN instead?

#56     Oct 24, 2004
  7. Cutten, interesting to learn that you're following news. That's the only thing that ever made me consider getting a feed. :p

I have been using an SP & Naz squawk for quite a while though. I use LOS.net, they're the best out there I've found, by far. :)

#57     Oct 24, 2004
  8. I thought you didn't care about news... Somewhat of a flip flopper yourself huh? But you're right to change your mind in this case.

#58     Oct 24, 2004
  9. Thanks for that, swoop. In case you didn't notice, my comment you replied to was rather cynical. But hey, I could be wrong, and they really are as fast as the pro platforms.

That said, of course you can have a good edge with news. If you're a a specialized ace at trading them, live in Chicago with a <30ms ping VPN to the exchange, have the fastest execution platform and are prepared to pay the extra 50K a year for the pro news platforms. Then, sure.

But in my case, I live on the other side of the planet, with ~280ms ping to USA across the Southern Cross Cable. Even if I had besayeth Bloomberg terminal and Reuters, by the time the news would arrive and subsequently my order thought-processed and transmitted, everybody in America will have just about closed their trades. And ironically, the same applies for you, unless you can pride yourself with abovementioned infrastructure.

As for changing my mind: I'm always prepared and more than happy to change my mind, immediately and at any time. I have no problems with that at all. I do it about 50 times a day, it sort of describes the core of my (your?) job. Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Enjoy!
    - S

#59     Oct 24, 2004
  10. NTKN has both Reuters and Bloomberg as well as other data/news feeds. I have dropped all the pro news feeds myself for their service. I had been using TTN for a while (same people who provide LOS.net). I find that someone reading the numbers and news into my headphones is much faster than when I try to read it off the terminal and act on it.

The main thing you give up is accuracy. These services inevitably make mistakes every once in a while and so you have to accept that risk. They read the news and analyse stuff as a main source of revenue so, in any case, they are better at it than I am and more likely to make fewer mistakes than I would reading myself. Does that make sense?

NTKN is definitely a growing business and has to go through it's growing pains. However, I strongly believe that their responsiveness and attitude towards their customers is superb. Besides, at their price, the savings on a Bloomberg terminal alone would be worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

#60     Oct 24, 2004