What does everyone do for streaming news?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Surreal, Aug 25, 2004.

1. cable

cable

As always, Scientist, good post (the big one two up, that is). A lot of people flame you for posting, but you always have a solid viewpoint and back it up with solid reasons. Good stuff.

#41     Sep 21, 2004
  2. Has anyone gotten their NTKN to work with the java applet? Mine keeps crashing on my home as well as my office machine dedicated to such services.

Anyone testing the service as we speak?

#42     Sep 22, 2004
  3. i use the NTKN service with the java applet, never have problems with it. How long ago did you download java?

#43     Sep 22, 2004
  4. I just installed it again the other day. It shows the java cup on the grey screen for about a minute and then it gives me an X. Thought it might be due to a firewall, but I tried it from home over DSL without any routers in between and it gives me the same thing. Kinda disappointing.

#44     Sep 22, 2004

5. Well there seems to be quite the dichotomy of opinion on the use of news for trading...but there are several situations that I can think of that having access to streaming news is important... while some may think these situations apply more to day traders, position traders can get some pretty favourable trade locations should they see this news and react to it quickly...

1. The release of the Non-Farm payroll numbers every Friday of the month

2. The release of the Federal Reserve interest rate announcements.

2. Recently, (thought this is highly oil futures specific but the S+P can be traded quite effectively off these releases as wel) the release of the Oil inventory numbers every Wednesday of the week.

3. Terrorism...I sure hope you guys aren't short bonds/long stocks and wondering why your technical levels aren't working!lol.

#45     Sep 22, 2004
  6. andy@ntkn

andy@ntkn NeedToKnowNews.com

Thanks to the people who are trying Need To Know News. We recently did a server upgrade. Anyone who has trouble loading the applet should simply try to refresh it by right clicking on it or closing and reopening the audio channel. Also make sure that in your advanced tab of internet options on internet explorer, the "use java applet/requires restart" box is checked. I am always happy to answer any other technical questions.

#46     Sep 23, 2004
  7. Why is it stupid not to know when news hits?? Are you serious?
    Payroll friday can be one of the more volatile days of the month, some of the biggest traders go flat into the news and you're asking me why it's stupid?
    Do you understand what I was saying or...?

#47     Sep 23, 2004
  8. I'm not saying that it shouldn't work, I say that you should know when major releases are... terrorist news and stuff like that, who cares cause it will move the market at random, but big scheduled announcements are important. Point blank; you can argue with me if you would like ...

#48     Sep 23, 2004
  9. cable

cable

I got one of my more useful tips for using news from Larry Williams*. He watches the news to see if the market reacts as it SHOULD to the news -- any divergence signals an extraordinarily strong or weak market, depending on which way it differs. This tip was pretty useful during the DotCom Boom. Kept me hanging on to some stocks longer than I would have if the stocks' resilience hadn't been proven by shrugging off massively bad earnings reports (which every stock had back then!)

* I know, I know.

#49     Sep 23, 2004
  10. chs245

chs245

Are you claiming that you are faster than theFlyontheWall.com ?
    In which areas ? I'm mostly interested in Analyst Actions. Could you back up your claims by some facts ?

Thanks,

OLiver

#50     Oct 15, 2004