What does a position keeper do?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by UK2004, Dec 3, 2001.

1. liltrdr

liltrdr

I think the math test is a crock. It's all about making the right decision in an instant. The computer does everything for you. They are on an electronic exchange after all. It's like they want Rain Man trading options for them.
    "Definitely sell...Definitely sell...Time for Wopner"

#11     Dec 3, 2001
  2. Turok

Turok

>It's like they want Rain Man trading options
    >for them. "Definitely sell...Definitely sell...Time
    >for Wopner"

ROFLAO

NICE!!!

JB

#12     Dec 3, 2001
  3. ChrisRT

ChrisRT

ROFL!! liltrdr..that was most I laughed in a while..too funny.

#13     Dec 3, 2001
  4. UK2004

UK2004

Are there other tests like that optiver one that you cna get it is good it keeps the mind in good shape. Do any of you know of trading firms that trade foreign exchange investment banks etc who may be prepared tot ake on pre univeristy students?

Nick

#14     Dec 4, 2001
  5. liltrdr

liltrdr

6. Quiet1

Quiet1

www.macfutures.co.uk take on graduates and others and train them up to trade on EUREX, LIFFE etc. Last I heard they were going to do forex too. They are probly similar to the prop trading firms you hear about on this list.

www.curvalue.com/co.uk same idea but i think the guy who set up macfutures came from curvalue...only trade eurex i believe...

they might take on people to trade their money...

both london based

#16     Dec 5, 2001
  7. UK2004

UK2004

Are they both trading firms where daytraders trade their own capital or the banks capital proprietry and the firm takes a cut? I have applied to many places like CSFB, Goldman, Morgan Stanley etc Not much luck so far although some were sent out very recently. I undertook a week's work experience at N M Rothschild, an investment bank in London, they also have an office in New York.

They have a very small trading floor and when I was there the guy said he may be able to take me on for 3 months before university, he said I would probably go in risk. Does this mean I would be position keeping watching traders profit and loss as I normally associate risk with derivatives and financial risk management? Thank you for your advice.

Nick

#17     Dec 5, 2001
  8. I recall seeing Deutche Bank advertising summer internships in London.

#18     Dec 5, 2001
  9. UK2004

UK2004

I have been looking on www.db.com and I saw a little thing saying they do work experience please apply but the form isn't there does this mean pre-univeristy work experience?

#19     Dec 6, 2001
  10. Quiet1

Quiet1

yes firms capital
    payouts determined by market etc etc

risk control should be somewhat automated for vanilla products - what the "risk" department does will vary from place to place.

#20     Dec 6, 2001