What do you use to elevate your desktop off the floor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maverick1, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Grantx

Grantx

What are the tissues for Lawrence?

#11     Nov 8, 2017
  2. You mean you don't know?

Wiping away the tears from losing trades, of course.

#12     Nov 8, 2017
  3. Grantx

Grantx

Oh that :D

#13     Nov 8, 2017
  4. tango29

tango29

This was an option I was going to use, but I ended up making room on the desk behind monitors. Not necessarily convenient for turning on/off, but that's a minor issue.
    With 3 cats and a golden retriever the dust and fur are almost to the level of driving me nuts, so I had to get the computers off the floor and it has made a huge difference. I also use the can of air to blow dust out, but more like once a month and I use the vacuum hose to try and catch some of the blowing dust.

#14     Nov 8, 2017
  5. harami

harami

#15     Nov 8, 2017
  6. spindr0

spindr0

How do I elevate my desktop off the floor?
    Ummmm, a desk ??

#16     Nov 8, 2017
    theapprentice and sss12 like this.
  7. Visaria

Visaria

i use a laptop.

#17     Nov 8, 2017
  8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Two plant-stand/end-table things I got from some bargain furniture place for squat. Fits inside, on the lower levels [4" high?], right next to the desk, with the printer on top, at desk level.
    (That's long-term. Actually, right now, I'm doing hardware work, and the actual running "desktop" is a back-up, and sits on two 3" paver bricks that get used for all sorts of things through my ancient (and urban) home -- "antique kitch" in its own way.)

#18     Nov 8, 2017
  9. Desktop is currently on one of them thingy with wheels. This is a high end desktop built by me and only used for trading and all things related to market (streaming movies/VR) and off limits to everyone. I use laptop for surfing.

It's very rare I upgrade (last desktop was 13 years old ),but when I do,I go all out.

Now I'm thinking of putting it into one of these ,yes it's expensive. You can find cheaper versions on youtube and DIY versions. Enough room to put 2 desktop set-ups in it.

Less expensive models available .
    http://www.lian-li.com/en/products-computer-desk/#all/1/grid

#19     Nov 8, 2017
  10. Overnight

Overnight

By the way, it could be cheaper to just invest in a couple of cans of compressed air, and blow out your chassis and fans every 6 months (do it outdoors). This way, no need to elevate PC off of the floor. Been working for me for 30 years. Easy peasy!

#20     Nov 8, 2017
    Grantx likes this.