What do you think of TradersStudio?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TraderSystem, Dec 13, 2007.

What do you think of TradersStudio?

1. Own TradersStudio

25 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. I am on the fence, thinking about it but have not decided yet

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Looked at TradersStudio but am waiting for real time product

14 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. I cannot believe TradersStudio can do what they claim they can do, must be a lie

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Looked at it and decided against it

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  6. What is TradersStudio?

65 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. Talking of delays, it reminds me of Vista, the much awaited Operating system of Microsoft Windows that was released after 5 years as they wanted to test and improve its features. But, it has so many problems, despite such a long delay. See below links and the statements from them, for more information:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7304830.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4831374.stm

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2152422/microsoft-delays-windows-vista

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/21/vista-delayed-until-early-2007/

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlebusiness.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN02271704&from=business

http://www.feedsfarm.com/article/f0751a6cc8e87fcc1a03970be21840965929271e.html

http://www.news.com/2100-1016_3-6052270.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Criticism

“Microsoft's troubled transition from XP to Vista has become something of a comedy of errors, with leaks, confusing hardware requirements, disappearing features, and habitual delays having plagued the next-gen OS since it was just a wee Longhorn.”

“Microsoft originally targeted a 2005 launch for the new Windows, then pushed the release out to 2006 before announcing in March that Vista would again be delayed to improve the product's quality”

“Microsoft began work on Windows Vista, known at the time by its codename "Longhorn" in May 2001,[6] five months prior to the release of Windows XP. It was originally expected to ship sometime late in 2003 as a minor step between Windows XP and "Blackcomb", which was planned to be the company's next major operating system release.”

“Prior to its announcement on July 22, 2005, Windows Vista was known by its codename "Longhorn".[1] Development was completed on November 8, 2006; over the following three months it was released in stages to computer hardware and software manufacturers, business customers, and retail channels. On January 30, 2007, it was released worldwide to the general public,[2] and was made available for purchase and downloading from Microsoft's web site.[3] The release of Windows Vista comes more than five years after the introduction of its predecessor, Windows XP, the longest time span between successive releases of Microsoft Windows.”

“Microsoft plans to delay the consumer launch of its much-anticipated Windows Vista operating system to January 2007. It had originally aimed to launch Vista - the first major update since Windows XP was introduced five years ago - in the second half of 2006. "

“Windows Vista was originally promised for the second half of 2006, but delays have plagued the operating system throughout its development. The software was originally planned as an upgrade to Windows XP and was expected to arrive in 2003. Development was delayed after Microsoft decided to add more features, and by pulling developers off the project to work on the security oriented Service Pack 2 for XP.”

“Windows Vista has received a number of negative assessments. Criticism targets include protracted development time, more restrictive licensing terms, the inclusion of a number of technologies aimed at restricting the copying of protected digital media,[62] and the usability of the new User Account Control security technology. Reviewers have also noted some similarities between Vista's Aero interface and that of Apple's Aqua interface for the Mac OS X operating system. Moreover, some concerns have been raised about many PCs meeting "Vista Premium Ready" hardware requirements and Vista's pricing. When asked by Gizmodo at CES what Microsoft product could have used more polish before release, Microsoft founder Bill Gates replied, "Ask me after we ship the next version of Windows. Then I'll be more open to give you a blunt answer."[63][64]”

So, TradersStudio might not have a real time system ready, but what ever it provides has been stable, and whatever bugs are there are not so much a problem that it affects our trading. Also, as told earlier, they improve it and ensure that the upgrade works well. They make take long time to put new features, but at least they work, they are stable releases.

#31     Apr 1, 2008
  2. If you follow my posts you will see that I was searching for a back testing platform and was deciding between Trading Blox and TradersStudio. Due to the huge price difference I decided to go for TradersStudio. I now use the product every day. I have asked TradersStudio support questions on how to do things and they always answered me. They are always polite and helpful.

I found a few issues with the ”TradeStation Translator” using version 8.3. They have told me that they will be fixed in next version. I sent to them the code. They responded to me; and even translated it and gave me work around.

So yes, I am not impartial anymore. I am a customer.

Also, I joined ET in mid-September 2007 and did not buy TradersStudio till end of January 2008. On the other hand you joined in beginning of March 2008 and post like the energizer bunny in many general chat type threads, like chit chat, religion and politics. You have almost 200 posts in less than 1 month. Wow, it looks like a record. :)

Do you work for a living? I am trying to work and also begin trading so that someday I can retire.

#32     Apr 1, 2008
  3. Well, okay TraderSystem, so you have been using the TradersStudio for almost 3 months. Can you tell what you liked the best & what you wish it had or can be improved upon?

#33     Apr 21, 2008
  4. I found the following in Tradersstudio:

1) Easy to test portfolio with only a few clicks
    2) Easy to combine systems in a trade plan with only a few clicks
    3) Can automate testing and run multiple tests while at work. Can save the results using the global macro language
    4) Language is powerful and easy to understand if you are used to using Excel
    5) Multi-tab facility available i.e. can see all in one page
    6) Walk forward testing & back-testing facility available makes it easy to test the data

What I wish it had, has already been done:

I had some issues, like problems with the translator for easy language code; they have addressed them in the new beta I am testing. It seems like when I find an issue, they add it very quickly to the next build. So, nothing is outstanding now for me.

#34     Apr 24, 2008
  5. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Thank you for your nice comments. If anyone has any ideas the window for new feature will close in about 1 week for version 3.0.
    So if anyone has input please post.

#35     Apr 29, 2008
  6. As I've posted elsewhere TradersStudio is a fine product that is constantly improving. I believe there will be some even more powerful features/functionality in the new version 3.0.

Even in the current version there are very powerful features, I seem to discover a new one every week or so.

One recent discovery: the ability to create Multi-Output Functions.

Let's assume you have a core trading philosophy and all your various trading systems are subsets of this core philosophy.

In such a situation in Traders Studio you can create a so-called master function that can return multiple outputs. You can now reference this master function and its outputs in various underlying systems.

This makes your trading design, R & D very clean, cogent and well organized. It also makes iterative testing/experimentation fairly easy.

You can also use a multi-output function to derive your core entry level, exit level, stop, etc and other such system basics then easily reference them elsewhere in the TradersStudio framework.

There are a few things I wish TradersStudio did or did better and I believe they are working on addressing those issues, but in all its an excellent product backed by a good team and for the price/value, I really don’t see why any serious ED trader would not purchase the software.. . its equivalent to 10/12 ES pints.. Goodness we've all had trades where we lost that (or more) in just one trading day (or less).

One more point if you are a systematic trader - another benefit is just being able to know what DOESN'T WORK. That alone can be priceless.

Lest I forget even for a trader with mediocre programming skills (like myself) the language is fairly intuitive that it can be picked up very easily and more so if you are already familiar with MS Excel. And if you are a Tradestation user you can easily convert Tradestation code to TS Basic using their translator.

#36     May 2, 2008
  7. I agree. I was reading through the documentation and came across something called the Virtual Backtester. I thought, "WTF, is this what I think it is?"

The most encouraging thing for me is that Murray says he designed TradersStudio for his own personal use. I hope that means he will never dumb it down for mass appeal.

At some point I am going to look into the optional addin modules, but right now I have my hands full just learning the basic application.

#37     May 4, 2008
  8. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

The virtual backtester allow you to backtest a shadow system which you can use it's statistics to filter the main system. Look at
    ChannelWithFilters for an example of this.

#38     May 4, 2008
  9. Thanks for the wonderful reply, TraderSystem. :) Hope what you say is true, for I am impressed. TradersStudio support, features, & willingness to improve is wonderful.

Mr. Murray, please guide me as to how should I buy your product soon?

#39     May 9, 2008
  10. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Make sure you have registered on the site before ordering. You can than order on the site. You can also call at 1-866-550-0550.

#40     May 13, 2008