what do you say when people ask you for tips/advice?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Sep 2, 2002.

1. ok. i'll fess up. i told my daughter that a company like e-toys might be a good one to buy at a dollar and hold till college....

but I repented quickly.

#11     Sep 2, 2002
  2. Gordon,

Just show them one of your account statements and they won't bother you anymore.

aphie

#12     Sep 2, 2002
  3. it seems like most people are more interested in being right than making $.....so when they ask for tips....so many of them are just wanting to tell everyone what they're doing or did......so I usually just say, "good luck".....at least this is how it was in the bull run.....now those people are usually too embarrassed to bring up anything to do with the market.

#13     Sep 2, 2002
  4. lescor

lescor

I just tell them that my average timeframe for a trade is under 20 minutes and that I have no idea what the market will do overall, which is true and took me a long time to truly believe myself.

I've given out too many tips that turned out bad and it can hurt a friendship, even when it's your friends fault for not knowing how or when to take a loss. That's the part of giving advice you have to remember, the average joe doesn't know that you assume he'll just get out with a loss if you're wrong, he'll ride it all the way down, becoming more bitter along the way.

That's the one piece of advice I will give, if you are going to invest or trade, always determine ahead of time where you will get out with a loss if you are wrong.

Corey

#14     Sep 2, 2002
  5. That is the best advice I think you could give anyone. Nice post.

#15     Sep 2, 2002
  6. lol that's a good one! however, i am totally turning the corner and i know it..i am seriously so happy. i'm trading real small for a few months and then i plan on dumping another 20k into my account.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#16     Sep 2, 2002
  7. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

I tell them I'm a DAY trader and that my timeframe is often only a few minutes and I never know in advance what I'll be buying or selling or when I'll be doing it.

I say, "I could call you when I buy something, but by the time you buy it, it would be me selling it to you, closing my position."

#17     Sep 2, 2002
  8. Gordon,

Good job! I'm glad you're still in the game.

Btw, nice picture. Do you have any idea how high a stack of a million dollars worth of 100 dollar bills would be? 10,000 100 dollar bills?

aphie

#18     Sep 2, 2002
  9. bill thickness = .0043 inches
    10000 x .0043 = 43 inches
    43/12
    3.58 feet

HAHAHAHAHA

#19     Sep 2, 2002
  10. bill thickness = .0043 inches
    10000 x .0043 = 43 inches
    43/12
    3.58 feet

p.s. JWKirkland, didn't see your post til after i put mine, sorry.

hehe nice trick, i saw that! :mad:

#20     Sep 2, 2002