What do you make of this job?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by pumpanddumper, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Ha, sorry. I simply thought it was worth mentioning. Can't pay you enough to work a $38k job? Huh?

I forgot the smiley.

#11     Sep 6, 2007
  2. opm8

opm8

It seems my stupid joke has gotten way out of hand.

I'm sure $38K is a fine salary for uh, whoever thinks it's a fine salary. :p

#12     Sep 6, 2007
  3. Sorry, your sarcasm made a whooshing sound as it flew over my head. 38k isn't a living wage.

#13     Sep 6, 2007
  4. sjfan

sjfan

Why not? It's enough to live on - that is - to find a small apartment, commute to work, and eat. You want more? well... then you better be able to provide service worth more to your employer than 38k. otherwise, 38k is exactly what you are.

#14     Sep 6, 2007
  5. 38K a year in NYC! The fucking bums make more money than that pan handling! LOL

:D

#15     Sep 7, 2007
  6. sjfan

sjfan

Um.... it sure sounds like it. When we hire backoffice, that's what we put on the ads. After all, it's making sure trades are properly confirmed with the counterparties, checked with compliance, and entered into the accounting/custodian/etc systems.

#16     Sep 7, 2007
  7. sjfan

sjfan

Um... I very much doubt the description meant the management of position in terms of trading/investment function. At best, maybe running some position reports, which makes it an upper back, back middle office job. Just look at the salary level for a clue. Middle office earns more than 38k a year. I can't imagine a 38k trade administration type actually have any trade decision making ability. How ever you cut it, it's a back office position.

#17     Sep 7, 2007
  8. I know 38k is dick. I was clearing six figures a year in my own home based business.

That ended last year. It is over. I was able to save a lot to trade. Not working out...I need to start working somewhere(not desperate though, have a bankroll still. My back is not against the wall but I have to pretend it is to stay motivated.

I think it would be fun to work the job. If I don't like it, I can tell them to fuck off because I am not strapped. But at the pace I'm going, I will be in 2 years.

I know the pay sucks. I'm looking. Every job will suck. You don't start making 80k+ at most jobs.

I'm looking at pharma sales too. I'm open to a lot of things. Working close to my job is one of my biggest priorities. Fuck half hour or more commutes. I don't mind less pay if the job is closer. Full benefits, 40k or more, matching IRA, my side ventures supplement my income, plus swing trading. I'm all about multiple streams of income and not one source.

#18     Sep 8, 2007