What do you do with your spare system?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by OddTrader, Oct 15, 2010.

1. I am exploring opportunities. I trade quantified swing strategies, mostly daily but I have some weeklies and can modify some to even trade monthly. My primary strategies are doing very well so I wouldn't consider selling them or interfering with them, but I have lots of stuff that is still very profitable that I don't have a use for. I wouldn't mind generating some extra income from them. They could work well for a newsletter, hedge fund, Covestor. I am planning to set up a model for Covestor but that's as much a matter of establishing a track record as anything. I don't think they have the customer base yet to really drive a lot of income through subscriptions to the models.

#11     Nov 15, 2010
  2. Hmm, I don't trade with leverage. I don't need it to get significant returns and I wouldn't want the added risk this would bring .. unless I can somehow share in the profits but not the risk.

#12     Nov 15, 2010
  3. Bob111

Bob111

4-5 systems,that use to work great,most last long enough and did earn at least six digits..they still profitable,but not as it use to be.
    maintenance and amount of work\trading required is not worth it to me right now.

#13     Nov 15, 2010
  4. Covestor or something like that seems interesting. imo, it depends on the maturity of your spare systems. Trading with Prop-Shops may allow any further necessary (yet unknown) fine-tuning of a spare but to-be-mature system becoming really profitable fairly consistently in the long run.

Establishing track records with Prop-Shops is also valuable. Killing time by fine-tuning a spare system, for its challenges and potential returns, should be much better than merely posting on ET. lol

Need to check further to clarify/ensure that.

#14     Nov 16, 2010
  5. A possibility is one day when the current main system will not perform well as expected, we may still use the spare system(s) immediately providing we now keep the spare system active and updated constantly.

#15     Nov 16, 2010
  6. Bob111

Bob111

yep

#16     Nov 16, 2010
  7. A "system" either works or it does not work. If it works, why would you ever sell it - if it does not work, why would anyone ever buy it?

Either run it or scrap it.

You didn't mention - does the "old" system overlap with the "new" system? If so then you don't actually have a new system, you have simply optimized your old system.

#17     Nov 16, 2010
  8. perhaps one day you would understand and find it out by yourself.

#18     Nov 16, 2010
  9. that is a fairly presumptuous statement there...

#19     Nov 16, 2010
  10. My case is accidentally I developed two completely independent systems with some positive correlation between them. They were based on very different assumptions/approaches.

When comparing their performance, I found they both work quite well, but one has relatively better performance than the other. Combining them would lower down overalll profitability, however with only fairly limited improvement of variability.

Finally I found out a smoother curve (coming together with a reduced profitability) can be better attained by utilising options, rather than combining these two systems by means of diversification.

Then I gave up any further fine-tuning on the secondary system fairly long time ago, which became a spare system till now.

#20     Nov 16, 2010