What do you call yourself?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by NanoTick, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Ebo

Ebo

"San Francisco Cocksucker".

The proprietor of The Gem Saloon was six months ahead of everyone else in Deadwood, and he runs the town like a corrupt riverboat captain. He knows every move that every person in town makes, anticipates problems and eliminates them. His girls aren't exactly the class of the town, but he controls the most successful bar and whorehouse in all of Deadwood—bringing in $5,000 a day in 1876—and anybody that threatens his sources of income may well end up fed to Mr. Wu's pigs.

#21     Dec 26, 2005
  2. lescor

lescor

Financial trader is what I say.

If I don't want the usual follow up questions I say "I buy and sell stuff on the internet"

#22     Dec 26, 2005
  3. My mother in law once asked me if I were a 'day trader' in a tone that sounded like she didn't approve. I told her no, I was a swing trader. For some reason she liked the sound of that.

#23     Dec 26, 2005
  4. After 5 years, finally . . . consistently profitable. :D

#24     Dec 26, 2005
  5. Well, you all can say....I make a living from the internet. (they will think u sell physical goods like through Ebay)

Or...Im a technical analyst. (they think you are an engineer of some sort). Same thing financial analyst, will get them the wrong idea.

Or...Im a stock trader (a general term even though u don't trade stocks. But they will think you are a gambler with no real job)

Or...Im an investor/ speculator (cant imagine saying this in real-world daily convo, doesn't sound right. Too flashy and too ambiguous)

The best description of all which I think is proper, correct, accurate, non-confusing, easy to understand, is.....

Im a fund manager.
    Or
    Im an investment manager.

See? What do u all think? It should work in any situations. Mostly.

#25     Dec 26, 2005
  6. Spiritual adviser and part-time shepherd. (That's usually a big hit this time of year.)

#26     Dec 26, 2005
  7. just say: "I predict the future for a living and it is highly profitable" ...while pointing to your new car:p

really though, i'd go with "something" manager. If you tack the word manager onto anything it sounds very good:D

RT

#27     Dec 26, 2005
  8. LOL :D

#28     Dec 26, 2005
  9. Very good...only problem is.. You open yourself up to people that will want to give you their money so you can make them rich. I think I would rather have people think I am a gambler with no real job than to have to give reasons why I will not take their money and make them rich.

#29     Dec 26, 2005
  10. GGSAE

GGSAE

Just say you're not comfortable trading with other people's money, conversation usually ends at that point.

#30     Dec 26, 2005