What do you call yourself?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Tea, Jan 3, 2003.

1. catman

catman

On a day like today, m@*fxx#%%da:(

#11     Jan 3, 2003
  2. Tea

Tea

Lately I've been saying that I work with computerized trading systems. If pressed on the topic, I then say I trade futures indexes.

The usual response I get, especially from bimbos is "Really, I use Windows at work". My reply - "good stuff".

Unfortunately, with the high tech bust - the computer industry is starting to have the allure of daytraders and circus barkers. So I may need to find something new to say.

I really don't care what others think, just curious and having fun. :D

Hmmmm......maybe I will say that I am a purveyor of rare Paul Tudor Jones collectible videos.......hmmmmm.

#12     Jan 3, 2003
    KaizenTrader likes this.
  3. and wanted to impress the ladies, i said i was a "third world debt trader". not much of a stretch back then. talk about having the girls in awe !

:D

surf

#13     Jan 3, 2003
  4. Eldredge

Eldredge

I tell people I trade stocks, and leave the rest to their imagination. If they express concern over how I must be getting killed, I just tell them that the methods I use don't really rely on the overall direction of the market. If they have any real interest, I have a discussion with them.

#14     Jan 3, 2003
  5. When I tell them I'm a scalper they think I stand at the street corner and sell tickets to mass entertainment events at elevated prices. I've always liked "independent securities liquidity provider", but when I have to be serious I usually say I work with computers, write software, or work on the internet. "I run a hedge fund" is also a good one. When I have to write it I sometimes put "date raider", but not on my tax returns.

But I believe the most honest and least deceptive answer would be "I trade". Of course, the huge portion of the populace endowed with enough intelligence to articulate words, but not enough to understand that "what someone does for a living" really isn't that interesting a topic, will start drilling if you give them an opening like that.

#15     Jan 3, 2003
  6. BCE

BCE

There's a longer thread from a few months ago that's basically about the same topic. I especially liked the remarks of Lightningsmurf who said that he says, "I design and implement derivative and equity systems." Thought that was great. LOL :D My main posts in the thread are at http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=145087#post145087 Then you can read the rest of the posts. An interesting thread.

#16     Jan 3, 2003
  7. Ditch

Ditch

Unemployed, that cuts of stupid questions.

#17     Jan 3, 2003
  8. Critical liquidity provider.... let them ponder that.... they feel outclassed and change the subject.

#18     Jan 3, 2003
  9. "A beach bum living in Chicago because it looked fun surfing the market"

#19     Jan 3, 2003
  10. BCE

BCE

#20     Jan 3, 2003