What do you believe to be a large amount of cash?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by eagle488, Oct 10, 2006.

1. How much cash necessary?
    A little more ! (Attributed to Ross Perot)

#11     Oct 10, 2006
  2. 1 million is a lot of cash.

period.

Anything above 3 million starts for a single male, becomes big pimpin lifestyle.

Anything above 6 million starts to get wasted because one guy can't really spend that much money unless he's throwing free parties.

#12     Oct 10, 2006
  3. Small, unmarked bills in a size 7 shoe box.

#13     Oct 10, 2006
  4. I will take 500 denomination Euro notes in my shoebox please. As many as you can fit thanks.

#14     Oct 10, 2006
  5. I think this qualifies for me.

[​IMG]

BTW, that's 12 Million Dollars. Nice going Jamie

#15     Oct 10, 2006
  6. Bullet

Bullet

You have a paid off House and no kids in college....5 million is good...

Otherwise 7.5 mil would do the trick

I am taking donations if anyone is feeling generous:D

#16     Oct 10, 2006
  7. These rules of thumb are just that- first of all, there's no guarantee that you can get 10% per year. Secondly, of course you have to factor in taxes- we have to pay them, right? That takes a huge chunk out. Also have to factor in inflation. The net $ you can make off of $1MM isn't as much as it seems.

I beg to differ about $6MM+ being more than you can spend, by the way. You can blow through that pretty darn easily if you wanted too. Of course you could live off of it forever if you did it right, but not even close to being more than you can spend, IMO.

#17     Oct 10, 2006
  8. "Narrowing our search to "salary," we found that the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the average annual wages in the U.S. as $36,764."

so considering that a risk free rate of return right now is around 5%. that means a nestegg of 800k could be enough if your lifestyle was average.

#18     Oct 10, 2006
  9. 10 times what you already have.

#19     Oct 10, 2006
  10. $1 million is just a start, but it certainly is not enough, at least not in the NY area. Trust me I know.

Like some have said maybe in some parts of the country it would be enough. I wouldn't know about middle America or what things cost out there.

I think for myself, I would need to be in the $5 million+ range to feel like I'm set.

#20     Oct 10, 2006