What do u do to stick to your rules?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by innovest_11, Feb 16, 2009.

#41     May 9, 2009
  2. Nexen

Nexen

Don't understand why most conversations derail into oblivion in ET.

Anyway, I make an effort to stick to them because I've learned the hard way that when rules are not followed, money tends to die.

#42     May 9, 2009
  3. My comment is simple

The business and profession of trading is relatively straightforward to learn. If you treat it as you would any business you will get where you want to go.

Learn the fundamentals first
    Decide on a special area of interest
    Get professional training
    Study hard
    Find the tools that give you the best odds of success
    Observe your target market(s)
    Develop a strategy
    Test it
    Refine it
    Trade it with discipline
    Protect your capital by learning to manage risk
    Make adjustments when you see changes in your market

This is taken from my own training. It has served me pretty well and it might help others.

There is one final thing worth mentioning. When trading on behalf of my employer, taking a loss is no problem. If I lose on an individual trade, it is not my money, so there is no sense of urgency or personal loss. Also I know that others around me are ocasionally on the losing end of trades. It is a fact of our professional lives. When trading my own account however, I notice the difference. Psychologically it is harder to accept that the outcome of any individual trade (especially trading indexes) is random. I also notice that the more trades I execute the easier it is to manage the emotions that come with winning and losing.

I hope that helps someone out there.

Cheers

#43     May 9, 2009
  4. Here is the missing illustration of the post that derailed the discussion.

[​IMG]

#44     May 9, 2009
  5. Daily use of MADA in real time was the theme of bootcamp

M meant annotating in real time thoroughly and logging the left half of one of a progression of six logs set up for beginner, advanced beginner, beginer internals, intermediate and advanced intermediate.

A meant filling in the middle of the log when the bar bay bar analysis was finished. A stands for Analysis.

Decisions were made bar by bar too. The decision column held one of five symbols and was done on a bar bay bar basis. H was the most common and R was the reversal,

Action that was recorded on the right of the log and noted on the PV chart as a reversal trade.

ON WEEKENDS THERE WAS SOME ACTIVITY RELATED TO CONSTRUCTING WHAT THE TRADER PERFORMED ON A FAMILY OF CURVES.

This was a drill too and at each level of accomplishment in skill and knowledge a new curve was added to the family of curves. There were six curves for trading SCT on those labelled six skill levels.

As was seen coherence was added to the trader/market partnership by using a measring device that did fourrier analysis on the cardiac system. Those using the laptop display of the emwave pc saw how coherence began to prevail.

Trading is a whole brain exercise. As you see this comment is not a whole brain comment.

Differentiating the mind, as in reading and singing, is a consequence of learning using the whole mind. Pick up any learner reading text and observe the proof.

By using a routine, MADA, and reaching closure on each row of the log all day long, the differntiated levels were established and made a first recourse in time. Initially the first recourse was the one exemplified by the post above which I am responding to.

Boot camp has been described as a 30 day event that uses a lot of camtasia videos where by a dya's trading can be accomplished in 40 minutes. regardless of level of skill.

SCT is not a set of rules. This is not clear to Tara or her prop husband (ex) both of whom are devoted to rules.

Automating SCT or any trading I would advocate stems from an algorithm or paradigm. the market dictated the algorithm's Hypothesis Set and it's parametric measure. It also dictated the priors of the algorithm and fortunatley all of Logic Theory and other theories associated with the design and utility of algorithms.

When a person embarks of transferring an algorithm to another it is a case of working in a process to differentiate the mind.

As it turns out, the process has some difficult things to consider. How the mind works and grows by building is one of these. Another is how a person learns to learn. Once these are in hand, then the process ensues on the basis of critical thinking and logic. All of that came to Neoxx. He and many others are now more formally continuing their worldwide meetings in person periodically and in btween communicating for an assortment of purposes related to the results of the transference and its implications and manifestations.

All who wished were free to choose. for most the bar they kept in front of them was too high to surmount and take the risk to learn to learn and build their minds. thier first recourse mentally, in terms of infernce joined with what they sensed did not compute. They elected out by their choices.

The most enjoyable of it all was and is turning the results into something that is useful to others in the world.

Many people observed the process over the five years that it went on in ET and for some they participated or observed in the many years before that. some people, four generations ago got to accept the transference and have continued to passit forward as well. what is most pervasive aqbout it all it what happens to the person who is passing it forward.

It is quite mysterious and not totally a conscious undertaking.

Those who were supporting the transfer have really enjoyed it all.

Footnote: Obviously, this has become unbelievable to observers.

#45     May 9, 2009
  6. I think I have it in a nutshell: there are no rules so the learners teach each other and the observers don't believe because of what they observe.

#46     May 9, 2009
  7. What happened to your promise to your former IBD group to turn $10 thousand into $1 million in 100 days and post updates on ET?

How enjoyable and useful to your former IBD group was that?

Was your failure to do it mysterious and unbelievable to them?

#47     May 10, 2009
  8. Different people read something and take a way different preceptions by their inference combining what they take in through their senses. Various people, thus lend various learning biases be they visual, audio or kinesthetic.

You believe (infer to anything you read) that rules are how a person does things, so learning rules is a good idea for you.

You learned to read and sing as a consequence of collecting rules for doing each apparently. A language resulted in each case because your mind got differentiated in some way.

The alternative for not using rules is not that people teacher each other. The alternative to learning rule sets is learning the language of the market in a manner that the mind becomes differentiated.

A consequence of learning the language of the market is that the differentiated learner knows that he knows what is going on all the time on the given skill level he has acquired.

A beginner knows he knows how channels progress, when their overlap begins and ends and thus the MADA works for him each lap of MADA done over and over as a channel progresses. His process is to build (annotate) tapes into traverses into channels in terms of the geometry of both price and volume. Thier correspondence is algorithmically established using a hypothesis set and its parametric measure (a single measure of velocity measured geometrically).

Six levels of skill further on,the expert has reapplied what the beginner practices, several times over with respect to traverses, tapes, internals, and the same techniques on another market, the Premium, the DOM and T&S combo, OTR tick charts in two markets and he knows the leader lagger relationship of all those subject panels. Many scripts and snippets are applied to the panels as well for sensory convenience.

A simple vocabulary was reapplied in a fractal context over about six fractals there exists an iteratively refined the trader's differentiated sensitivity to the time of events where all events are in relationship to one another. This is the definition of effectiveness and efficiency.

All traders have beliefs of what is possible for them and for their role models. It is easy to note these two marks on the continuum of performance of each trader and each role model representitive. There is another set of marks on the continuum: the marks of others who do different and unknown trading activiities.

Most people compare these outsiders to what they know and see as their goals. In your case it is clear what all of thse marks are on the continuum.

The final arbatreur of what is possible, most people do not use or are not aware of. The weekend drill of boot camp made the relationship of knowledge and skills to the market's offer very clear. there was a direct relationship and in the limit the standard was taking the market's offer.

Backtesting does not check the performance of what is being tested against it's ability to take the market's offer.

taking the market's offer is also tied to its capacity. The weekend drill was designed to test this capacity limit as well. For example, in ES it is 10,000 contracts per account.

Observers have beliefs and they are not subject to change unless certain standards or limits are met. Nothing outside of observer beliefs can be true to an observer. This is cut and dry, no exceptions. The position of people who do what others (observers) deem to be impossible (beyond their established beliefs) is that there is no way discourse can change their views.

The consequence of this is that the phenomena has value for decision making by users of the method. Users cannot work with anyone whose beliefs close out the opportunity to learn.

Trader666 is an example of a person who cannot prove to himself by using roughtrader's results that the two document editions (the original 22JUN06 and the second, 10OCT06) of "Putting the Pieces Together" are a proof of both 1 or 2 order(s) of magnitude profits within a single time span (100days). roughtrader did not have to be at those two IBD meetings, he only had to deploy their principles.

You and trader666 filter yourselves away from working with practitioners. Just as Steven could not "buy" his way into the Tucson activities.

From my viepoint when nutshelling, it turns out this way:

Knowing that you know with regard to market operations may not be done, logically using rules. Therefore, a suitable alternative is learning the laguage of the market by completing a purposeful learning process (like learning to read) which builds the mind's long term memory by differentiation). Those who observe the process and its results will always measure whether it works or is valid by their belief standards composed of their preformance and that of their role models. It will be deemed unbelievable and impossible as a consequence of this outside test.

It is the nature of communities to protect those who are joining the community. Many people who find what others are doing to be unbelievable and impossible, protect these newcomers from making the mistake of considing what they know and believe cannot be happening. They encourage newcomers to join with them and have the same beliefs founded on the tests they performed.

In future years, a lot will change. we spent five years in this forum introducing an algorthm or paradigm on what we call "pool extraction" and it applied to three types of capital application in various markets. I attached a schematic of how the pools are extracted and swept using various methods. the descriptors may be a little criptic but they are ordered the same way for each approach.

[​IMG]

#48     May 10, 2009
  9. EpiphanyTrading

EpiphanyTrading ET Sponsor

To stick to your rules, you need to have a sounding board to voice your ideas before you push a button. When you announce your trades to a friend or a chat room, you will get the feedback that will let you know if you are doing the wrong thing. We have a seven criteria list that we used called the Epiphany Method. If the trade has one of the criteria it is a do nothing. If it has all seven, it is a do with SIZE

I would never trade alone. I have my partner Erik Kolodny across from me along with our chat room on my screen.

Brendan P. Byrne

#49     May 10, 2009
  10. 1)My background is as a creative choreographer. Creativity and rules are left and right brain activities that hamper each other. This confuses you and that's why you can't show any results. You think you are freeing traders minds but instead you imprison them. You should try reading the posts in IR to see how even basic level rules without demonstrations stall a traders progress. 2000+ IR pages and nothing to show speaks for itself.

2)“This is the definition of effectiveness and efficiency”. Nonsense! Jack the definition of efficiency is “the ratio of the output to the input of any system”. SCT only shows a theoretical output and the burden of proof is always on the claimant. You claim to have some scientific background or knowledge but Jack, you continually present a theory with staggeringly limited results as something exceptional. Any scientist would never present a theory as proof of anything.

3)Jack, you've never traded size, and it shows

4)Name some practitioners. You certainly are not one of them. Tell me their names and I'll filter my way towards them. Perhaps you are right and I am wrong and I'll willingly admit to that as soon as I see the results from one of these SC Theory practitioners.

This is a discussion about how to stick to rules. My question was, are bad rules the cause of poor discipline? Is it a mindgame?

I am using your SC Theory as an example of how rules can stifle a trader because what you believe will result in success, might be nothing more than a theory that is the cause of your failure.

Thanks for proving my point :)

#50     May 10, 2009