What do all these guys actually do on the trading floor? How much do they make?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Port1385, Jul 29, 2008.

1. central park

central park Guest

yes, you are correctamundo. Operative phrase " with a few years experience". IF you last, IF you can sell, IF they like you--sure you can make that kind of coin. Dont make your salary plus in sales, they will throw you out on your ear, on your EAR!! I am talking about new recruits, not seasoned professionals.

CPW

#31     Jul 30, 2008
  2. yz125

yz125

cental park u are talkin shit i live in england milton keynes aint the fuckin city this is for a nunb sculls out of school first job in a shity town not london this is a broker doing 200 share transactions not an institutional role helmet like comparing a back street garage mechanic to a f1 mechanic GET REAL LAD

#32     Jul 30, 2008
  3. central park

central park Guest

don't matter, bloke, don't matter. You gotta get the experience to get to a top london desk that pays more than 30-35k a year USD.
    never mind the bullocks!

CPW

#33     Jul 30, 2008
  4. yz125

yz125

you dont know what your on about do you think cambridge oxford lse grads go to milton keynes get real got 2 mates from oxford both start work for investment banks both on £37.5k starting salary the city aint like milton keynes they hire the brightests minds about not school drop outs

#34     Jul 30, 2008
  5. Notice how they have 3 monitors. I say on a military channel show the other day about the plane fitted with a Laser. The personnel in the plane were in workstations with 3 monitors each.

I would guess that the military has determined that 3 monitors is all you can keep up with. Apparently UBS feels the same way.

So for all those wondering how many monitors you need then apparently 3 is the optimium number.

John

#35     Jul 30, 2008
  6. yz125

yz125

YOU DONT HAVE A FUCKING CLUE MATE

#36     Jul 30, 2008
  7. sjfan

sjfan

Wrong again. Starting salary for sales traders in NYC (right out of school, no experience, investment banks) is around 60-65k. London historically pays slightly lower than nyc (until the exchange rate kicks in)

#37     Jul 30, 2008
  8. central park

central park Guest

Perhaps with an IVY pedigree. Aint no one getting out of PSU making that kind of coin, no how, no way.

#38     Jul 30, 2008
  9. sjfan

sjfan

The analyst classes for every year at these banks have plenty of ivies, but also plenties of other decent non-ivy schools (NYU, CMU, etc)... with a vast majority of them not entered through family or connections... but what's your point exactly? If one doesn't have to chops to get into these jobs, or likewise jobs on the buy side, then perhaps one isn't cut out for the business.

#39     Jul 30, 2008
  10. I have experience in interviewing, hiring and managing people.

Usually employers have a certain unwritten profile that they utilize in employing people. The reasoning behind using a profile is because its very costly to make hiring mistakes. Very costly. Therefore, usually outfits fall back on a certain type of people that are usually the most successful at that type of business.

Some of these investment banks might hire only Ivy graduates while others might have another type of profile.

I can imagine where Ivies are preferable. Looking at that picture Im wondering how many people can actually survive in such a pressure cooker. Usually Ivies are not afraid of working hard and crowded environments.

I believe work ethic and being able to make good decisions under pressure are probably most valuable in that type of environment.

#40     Jul 30, 2008