What do all these guys actually do on the trading floor? How much do they make?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Port1385, Jul 29, 2008.

1. MTE

MTE

Thx

#11     Jul 29, 2008
  2. JCVR

JCVR

updates on order flows coming through the desk, news, analyst comments, general sentiment on the trading floor, etc. The most important thing that a guy on an institutional desk can usually offer is color on the order flows he is seeing from other customers. Obviously he can't name names, but they can and will tell you what order they have worked, are working, or anticipate receiving in hope of you stepping up to take the other side of the trade so they can make commish on both ends and take the spread.

#12     Jul 29, 2008
  3. sounds like a useful position. much more so than I thought you meant before. I would rather have the guy you describe than some some of the guys I have seen from UBS yapping on CNBC by my side.

#13     Jul 29, 2008
  4. MTE

MTE

I see, thanks for the in-depth explanation.

#14     Jul 29, 2008
  5. central park

central park Guest

start out at 32k, after 10 years you can be earning 60-70k.

'bout the same as an elementary school teacher in a rural district without the summers off.

th0se guys are one step from being homeless.

CPW

#15     Jul 29, 2008
  6. wtf are you talking about, that is utter bs. Point me 1 guy on that trading floor (other than the floor cleaners) who make less than 70k a year.

#16     Jul 29, 2008
  7. central park

central park Guest

Most all of them make less, far less than 70k. they start out at 32k and MAY work up to 65-75k if they are lucky and kiss ass.

SOrry to burst your bubble.

CPW

#17     Jul 29, 2008
  8. Surdo

Surdo

You are way off CP, trade support makes 50K plus 25/50K bonus!
    How much do you think a NASDAQ MM makes, yes they still have a few dozen on this floor. Take a guess please. I love reading people talk out of their a$$!

el surdo

#18     Jul 29, 2008
  9. central park

central park Guest

MM's are the upper end of this lower end foodchain. what do they make 175k? the rest of the fancy named screen starers and telephone talkers earn far less---- 50K maybe 2 years ago!, now its 32k starting with limited chance of a bonus. the glory days are gone.

CPW

PS ask lehman boys about the new bonus structure. LMAO!

#19     Jul 29, 2008
  10. This is their electronic trading floor -considered to be the world's largest - in one of their Stamford buildings, on Washington street. RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) is building next door, rumoured to be setting an even LARGER floor to

There is a nice buzz there - every now and then there will be some murmur that will liven it up. not at all like a pit trading floor. But a great place to work. Lively. Everyone has a small share of counter space, but it is conducive to talking to your neighbors.

Very high ceiling, bright, good circulation.

The traders are shrinking in number as algorithmic trading takes over, and the IT and support people are starting to fill some of the chairs.

Not much diff from a small cubicle, except you see all your neighbors.

#20     Jul 29, 2008