What degree/master/phd would be the best for a trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by GloriaBrown, Jun 19, 2014.

1. HFT is a way
    market control is a way
    fundamental analysis long term investment is a way
    days/weeks time frame technical/math/computer program prediction is a way
    arbitrage is a way
    ...so many ways and all of these people can be in the same market...with winners and losers...

John holds math and econ degree. I believe he fundamentally understands the market extremely well while he can also build math model to predict what will happen. Well, what I mentioned before would be still the main reason how can someone becomes godlike.

#141     Jul 22, 2014
  2. Except human mind free style trading, rule base trading can be back-tested, then we can tell if a strategy gives us edge or not.

No need to back-tested market control style, because they always win:D

#142     Jul 22, 2014
  3. Zzzzzzzz

#143     Jul 22, 2014
  4. Of course this is not mentioned in popular media because they control most of the main media companies.

#144     Jul 26, 2014
  5. Paul Tudor Jones said in the annotations of Reminiscenes of a Stock Operator, that journalism was the single most important element of his development as a trader and as a businessman.

#145     Feb 23, 2016
    marketsurfer likes this.
  6. It changed my life (journalism) even as a hack---

#146     Feb 23, 2016
  7. destriero

destriero

lol in what way? Journalism school? They forgot to teach grammar?

#147     Feb 23, 2016
  8. If you want to get a job then it doesn't matter what subject you do out of that list, it's more important which university you go to. To that list I'd add:

computer science
    physics
    maths
    engineering
    economics

But don't do an MBA. Almost uniquely on that list it is both completely useless for trading, and plenty of employers are biased against hiring MBA's for trading positions. The maths in an MBA is seen as too 'soft' for trading purposes.

GAT
    (masters in economics, and ex trader).

#148     Feb 24, 2016
  9. Sig

Sig

As an MBA I would tend to agree, although perhaps not for the same reasons. Trading just wasn't seen as an attractive field for MBAs, at least at my school, and as a result there wasn't a lot of recruiting for trading jobs. Some people going to hedge funds, a few to i-banking (although tellingly not nearly as many as came from i-banking), and a lot to PE/VC, but to my knowledge not a single person went to a "trading" position as envisioned by posters here. The HFT firms definitely did recruit in the comp sci/math departments, as well as the business school's PhDs though.
    I'll also second an earlier comment to go to a top tier school if at all possible. Take a couple years to do something unique and cool that will allow you to get into one of those schools. The financial world is horrible about only hiring from the "right" schools and would be happier taking the last person in their class from a top school than the valedictorian from a mid-tier school. In fact many top schools have grade non-disclosure, so hiring companies really do have no idea where their candidates ranked in their class and don't seem to care.

#149     Feb 24, 2016