What defines an "Edge".

Discussion in 'Trading' started by redbaron1981, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Ok, let's see the evidence and results of your testing.

#51     Mar 31, 2015
    justrading likes this.
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Read the journal postings I've been making for the past year here, including yesterday.

#52     Mar 31, 2015
    Chris Paciello likes this.
  3. Yeah, I have this fear in an exponentially irrational manner now. great quote.

Indeed!

You guys need to get a room. call your people and set it up already. :)

#53     Mar 31, 2015
  4. Anecdotal and has nothing to do with testing, statistics or probabilities.

#54     Mar 31, 2015
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

So test it, if it means that much to you. You have all the information you need. If you had done so a couple of months ago, you would have avoided calling a top 600pts too early.

#55     Mar 31, 2015
  6. Thanks for the link. Edward Thorp is a pretty good definition of "edge". I heard him give a talk at a local APS physics conference when I was a physics grad student at U. Cal., Irvine. He taught there. My recollection is that at the time (perhaps 1985) he had made something less than $100 million but not by much. His book was "Beat the Dealer", about black jack. He made his money in the options market, with a new method of pricing them.

#56     Mar 31, 2015
    fortydraws likes this.
  7. Beat the dealer was about black jack. He also has Mathematics of Gambling and beat the market. The latter two I managed to obtain originals of from Amazon.

#57     Mar 31, 2015
  8. zdreg

zdreg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    #58     Mar 31, 2015
  9. zdreg

zdreg

"You have all the information you need" you are a two of a kind in your responses. if you can't present the answer you put the onus on the other person to disprove your remarks.

#59     Mar 31, 2015
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Yes, it's up to whomever to determine whether or not the approach meets his needs. My results are irrelevant unless I'm going to commit myself to providing him with RT calls every day all day for the foreseeable future. And even if I did provide him with the calls, he'd be a fool to take them unless he had gone through an extensive verification process. In which case he wouldn't need me. Though I suspect that most traders don't even know how to conduct such a test but are embarrassed to admit it.

Each trader has to decide for himself whether he wants to be independent or a Gimmee. A lot of people are satisfied with being Gimmees, spending their lives in trading rooms or scrounging for tips on message boards. And if they're happy with that, why not? Life's short.

#60     Mar 31, 2015