What defines a "Professional" trader (vs Non-Professional/Amateur)?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kmiklas, Jan 27, 2020.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

What distinguishes a Professional from a Non-Professional (amateur) trader?

- Licenses?
    - Time spent trading?
    - Trading the money of others?
    - Being employed or sponsored as a trader by an institution/hedge fund?
    - Employment status?
    - Profit or loss threshold?

tyvm
    --Miklas

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Miklas, in your order, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No. IMO, a Professional Trader earns his primary income from trading. That can be his funds or the funds of others.

speedo, remogul92 and tommcginnis like this.
  3. kmiklas

kmiklas

Thanks for the response, Robert.

So, imagine a person is the [stereo]-typical "day trader." They roll out of bed and go straight to their terminal in their pajamas, trade all day, and make enough profit to maintain their capial and pay their bills.. are they considered a "Professional?"

When I think of a Professional Trader, I think of someone on their second cup coffee by 6am, with at least one, if not several licenses. They can be found parked in front of Bloomberg Terminal in a corner office at J.P. Morgan in Manhattan, raking in profits with old money.

4. maxinger

maxinger

The other question you might want to ask is :

What is the difference between

Professional trader vs
    Professional trading coach / writer / speaker ?

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

A Professional of any type gets paid to do it or is self-employed and pays himself. I do not see this as any different. As with other businesses, there are different levels of scale.

6. guru

guru

Ironplates likes this.
  7. tradrjoe

tradrjoe

Someone who is a professional in a field earns a living from that profession. To be a professional trader is no different.

8. kmiklas

kmiklas

9. gaussian

gaussian

A professional is someone who does it for money - in this case someone like a trader in a prop, on a trade desk, or someone working for an investment firm. The smell test is it is your job.

An amateur is someone who does something for the love of it rather than for professional progress.

10. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

To me, this sounds more of a professional institutional salesman.

#10     Jan 27, 2020