What country would you live in if you are filthy rich?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by a529612, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Kenya has already been bought. Corruption is the name of the game there, as it is in most of Africa.

I used to live there a long time ago. It's an utter shame what has happened to that country, but centuries of tribalism will do that.

#21     Aug 2, 2006
  2. AIDS infested would be better stated. Best women in the world? I guess it's based on your taste....

#22     Aug 3, 2006
  3. monte carlo

surf

#23     Aug 3, 2006
  4. Kovacs

Kovacs

Northern Italy; by the ocean.

I'd have a raven-haired beauty give me private language lessons.

#24     Aug 4, 2006
  5. arguing about hot chicks is pointless. There are hot chicks in just about every big country that id be more than happy with. If i had $500 mil Id stay in U.S and daytrade and be poor again:D

#25     Aug 4, 2006
  6. I'd have homes in Bermuda, the French Riviera somewhere, a castle at Lago Maggiore in Italy and an apartment in New York. Oh hell, throw in a vineyard in Chianti as well.

#26     Aug 4, 2006
  7. Croatia

#27     Aug 4, 2006
  8. zdreg

zdreg

i recall reading about some russian guy in florida who wanted to buy an island and creeate a nation based on the above ideeas.

#28     Aug 4, 2006
  9. USA, Kauai, Napali coast. 100 acres minimum with my own dirt road down to the beach.

#29     Aug 4, 2006
  10. It's a bit more complicated- you'd have to buy off a third world leader to permit part of his sovereign territory to declare independence & secede.

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/your-own-country.htm

<b>The Republic of... what?</b>
    There's something special about a private island. An isolated piece of paradise, its beaches and forests yours alone to enjoy. A virtual private kingdom under the sun. While this is enough for most of us, for some, only a real kingdom (or republic, or principality, or …) will suffice. For these folks, a private island is but a means to an end - the establishment of a new, independent country. But is such a thing really possible?
    The short answer is a pretty conclusive ' no'. Since the early 20th century, every square foot of dry land on Earth has been claimed by at least one country or another, which pretty much rules out discovering an unmapped tropical paradise, planting your flag, and setting yourself up as the local sovereign. Similarly, existing countries are more than a little reluctant to part with pieces of their national territory, no matter the financial incentives offered. However, 30 years ago one man hatched an enterprising (if a little bizarre) scheme at getting around these little details.

In the early 1970s a Las Vegas real estate millionaire by the name of Michael Oliver decided to set up his own South Pacific island nation. Given the tragic shortage of unclaimed private islands, Mr. Oliver planned to do the next best thing: build one. This wasn't as crazy as it may at first sound. Under international law, a country may only claim sovereignty over islands which lie outside its territorial waters if the islands are at least a foot above the high tide point (no part-time islands need apply). Mr. Oliver located a submerged coral atoll called the Minerva Reefs, lying 260 miles (420 km) southwest of the Pacific island kingdom of Tonga. At low tide, the Minerva Reefs were exposed to the open air, but at high tide, they were submerged. The reefs lay outside the territorial waters of all nearby states, and as they were submerged at high tide, no country could claim them as an extension of their national territory.

The plan was this: build up the Minerva Reefs until they remained above the waterline at high tide, thereby officially becoming a new island, outside the jurisdiction of any existing country. Initially, two 7.5 acre (3 ha) islands were to be created, and once the new country was declared, investment dollars would flood in, funding the expansion of the islands to 2,500 acres (1011 ha), or more than twice the size Monaco. Simple enough on paper.

In 1971 an Australian dredging ship was hired, and work was begun. Soon enough, parts of the reefs were permanently above the high tide mark, and on January 19, 1972 the new "Republic of Minerva" was proclaimed. It wasn't much to look at. No homes, businesses or anything else you'd normally associate with a country - just a few acres of dry, barren land peeking out from the Pacific. It did have a flag, though, and it began issuing its own coinage.

Unfortunately for Mr. Oliver, neither investment dollars nor international recognition was forthcoming. In fact, the only country to react to the proclamation of the new "Republic" was the neighbouring Kingdom of Tonga - and it wasn't thrilled. Tonga's monarch, King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, decided to throw his weight behind eradicating the upstart new island. (At over 400 pounds (200 kg), His Majesty held the Guinness Book of World Records title for heaviest monarch, so this threat was not to be taken lightly.)

A Tongan force comprising 90 members of a prisoner work detail, as well as a 4-piece band, made the voyage to the new island. Upon landing, the party hauled down the Minervan flag, played a rousing version of the Tongan national anthem, and claimed the land for Tonga. The short-lived "Republic of Minerva" was dead.

The moral of the story? If you're fortunate enough to own a private island, by all means enjoy your "private kingdom" - just don't be foolish enough to call it that. Especially if you're anywhere near Tonga.

#30     Aug 4, 2006