What College Degree Is Best For FX?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by sub0, Dec 18, 2005.

1. TradeSA

TradeSA

1 in 20

#21     Dec 21, 2005
  2. theSnaggle

theSnaggle Guest

I have an advanced degree, speak four languages and have lots of worldly experience and I still can't figure out my wife and my dog.

I'm curious about your goal -- to be an expert trader in FX. This is too vague for it to make any sense. An expert trader could be a Boris Schlossberg or a Theresa Lo or some other marketing slave to FXCM or some other retail FX firm. Or an expert trader could be a Bruce Kovner, a Paul Tudor Jones or a Bill Lipschutz. Do you want to trade spot? Futures? Some other mysterious derivative? Or what? Do you want to write articles on common indicator setups, work for a prop firm and call yourself an expert? Do you want to trade from home? Or do you want to manage a multi-million dollar fund? Do you want recognition for your intellectual prowess? Do you want to make a lot of money? Do you crave the excitement? I think it was Ed Seykota in the first Market Wizards who said, "People get what they want out of the market."

So, do you want to be an expert, or just have a KICK ASS equity curve? Two very different directions...which eventually converge down the road, but you're too new to put this into practice without a mentor like a Lipschutz or a Seykota so you're better off just making a decision and going for it.

If you want to be an expert trader and you already have a BS/BA degree, put down the books, get a haircut, put on a tie and start knocking on doors. Learn the business of trading. Give yourself a few years to figure out if you even need an advanced degree or if you even want to continue working for someone else. You'll know enough by then to know whether that distracted PhD back at school or the quant in the dark smelly room on the tenth floor is full of crap or is someone to really listen to and learn from. Odds are the person to listen to will be your senior trader! Give yourself time to figure yourself out a bit more, too. (Forget about figuring out the dog or your girlfriend, just love them. Especially the dog.)

If you don't know what you should do at that point, give it another three years or just make a decision and suck it up -- but the important thing is you need to make your own decisions based on your own experience and not on what someone else thinks you should do...this is experience you will acquire soon enough when you leave those collonaded halls and step out into the nasty, brutish world.

Good luck to you brotherman.

Snaggle

#22     Dec 25, 2005
  3. unosong

unosong

psychology is best!

#23     Dec 27, 2005
  4. skaranam

skaranam

In my opinion, no college can teach you on becoming a successful trader. I did MBA with Finance concentration. It helped me to understand financial markets. After that I self studied to improve my knowledge. Hope it helps.

#24     Dec 28, 2005
  5. thn5625

thn5625

Economics education here. Helps with critical thinking, theory, fundamentals, sports... but its not training grounds for trading. Hands on experience and wisdom will get you farther. Get it?

#25     Dec 30, 2005