What charting software is the best?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by MoonlightGraham, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Lornz

Lornz

IC= Integrated Client

I recommend you contact them for a free trial. As a retail futures trader, I will venture to say you can't do much better than CQG.

NxCore might also be worth a look...

And yes, I do think it is important. I am constantly baffled by people pursuing intraday trading and not caring about data integrity.

#21     Nov 10, 2010
  2. Thanks Lornz :)

#22     Nov 10, 2010
  3. LeeD

LeeD

First, this is not software, this is the streaming data. Exchanges inevitably provide valuable data which is not valid trade data: hence need for filtering. Some data providers filter tick data, which means inevitably a small amount of valid data gets filtered out. A number of providers including CQG and E-Signal offer both data and charting software as a part of the package. You don't have to get both data and charting from the same provider.

Second, you may prefer to get "unfiltered" data and filter it yourself. Get a separate provider of unfiltered market data and get charting software that lets you code a data filter yourself.

#23     Nov 10, 2010
  4. mark1

mark1 Guest

Bingo

#24     Nov 10, 2010
  5. Very interesting, thank you (Mark and LeeD) for bringing this concept to my attention.

#25     Nov 10, 2010
  6. I spoke with CQG and was surprised to find out that they do not offer any charts under 1 minute nor fractions of a minute (ie 75 sec, 150 sec) etc. They said their software was only programmed for whole mins, days, weeks, months.....

Hmmm, kind of bummed to hear that.

#26     Dec 10, 2010
  7. DTN Prophet X is terrific for futures trading. Very aesthetically pleasing charts and good reliability. It may cost you between $300 and $500 per month, depending on discounts, subscriptions, etc. I've been using it for over three years.

And if you're Rambo, you can use a 5-min. chart, a tick chart, or a 5-second chart.

If you need a contact there, PM me.

#27     Dec 10, 2010
  8. Thanks CTA, I probably will down the line. I want to spend a little more time researching and combing through data.
    For right now, I want to ditch Esignal soon as I just cannot take their fractional minute charts much longer.

Anyone know of a data provider (can just be end of day data) that is good for researching in which allows for fractional minute data and whose data isn't full of bad ticks and erroneous volume on those same fractional minute frames?

TIA,

MG

#28     Dec 16, 2010