What causes the price to jump +/- >1 point on the DOM when there are offers in btwn?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronFist, Oct 14, 2008.

1. bbqbbq

bbqbbq

the advantage of floor traders, is that they can spot volume surges before the volume is displayed on the charts, when the chatter picks up. The only problem i see is that floor traders have a worser sense of direction, if trading from a chart I thought shouldn't it be easier to see which direction is dominant?

Yeah I mean time and sales, on the dom you will pick up the direction of some time and sales

#11     Oct 14, 2008
  2. "4. Doubtful, especially since I've heard a lot of floor traders are average IQ at best. They probably just have better resources (ie. give a genius a stick and a moron a machine gun and who is likely to win?)."

If the moron doesn't know how to use the machine gun and the genius knows how to use the stick, the genius wins.

#12     Oct 14, 2008
  3. Here is one very simple way to use the DOM.

Build an executable market feed for NQ for 50 contracts.

Calculate ask and bid for 50 contracts and use those numbers for your trading calcs. It should filter out a substantial amount of noise.

#13     Oct 14, 2008
  4. auspiv

auspiv

what is an executable market feed? could you expand on this idea of yours?

#14     Oct 14, 2008
  5. piezoe

piezoe

It would trade through, but in an electronic market it might happen so quickly that you wouldn't necessarily see each level taken out individually. I suppose what you actually see as the offers are lifted might have something to do with the exchanges software.

#15     Oct 14, 2008
  6. Surdo

Surdo

Have you considered using a chart with times and sales to gauge momentum? DOM by itself is not enough these days, you know this?

#16     Oct 14, 2008
  7. I have TaS up next to my chart. But I hear that you can't really tell anything from that chart other than the fact that large orders are being filled, but even if they're on the bid or ask, that doesn't give any clue into market directions (so I'm told).

Please tell me if this is not the case.

Also, how come each line on TaS has a bid size and and AskSize? How do these vary from the Volume, and how come sometimes one is bigger and other times the other is bigger?

Thanks.

#17     Oct 15, 2008
  8. I am in same situation like you.
    In nearly all cases simple I do not see any edge observing time and sales and LII.
    However I discovered following:

1. There are some rare situation, some chart patterns where DOM gives edge.
    I am obseving there: , spread, cumulative No. bid or ask on all levels or unusually large bid/ask/trade on some level.
    Critical is word RARELY.

2. It works better in some other commodities where to me looks DOM giving more often useful information than by indexes.

3. Where I see exploitable advantage are lower volume stocks in situations when they are not blindly following indexes. Here it looks to me that edge situation on DOM repeats far more often so it is possible trade them.

As general, situations giving edge in index futures are that uncommon that is not possible use them like edge by scalping /just sometimes like additional confirmation/ or I simple do not know on what to look.

#18     Oct 15, 2008
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

If it prints at 1376.50 without touching 1376.25, it can be a calendar spread being reported. In this case, both offers at .25 and . 5 remains after the print.

#19     Oct 15, 2008
  10. I was going to ask these same two questions.

#20     Oct 15, 2008