What catalyst transformed you to a successful trader?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Worldcrusher, Feb 22, 2007.

1. harmless

harmless

hey spam boy

daytraderswin

how is the baby meat tasting

you baby devourer

#41     Feb 27, 2007
  2. Yeah, I know, it's always irritating when somebody steps in with the spam action, but we can just skip over it and stay with the thread's subject, because I think it's an important tool that traders may be able to relate to in their own lives/trading.

My single greatest catalyst, the catalyst which prompts many individuals to develop their own business/means of income, is ...

getting feed-up with the bullshit at my J.O.B.

That's it, in a nutshell, the more I dislike and desire to not spend anymore of my life at this job, the better a trader I become.

Truth

Good trading,

Jimmy Jam

#42     Feb 27, 2007
  3. harmless

harmless

by the way Jimmy, I have a complement for you.

long ago when you came to ET, (long ago in electronic terms) you weren't as wise

your posts are now really worth reading

you've become humble, wise and helpful when you can.

keep up the good work

as you can tell by now, this ain't my first nick :)

#43     Feb 27, 2007
  4. harmless

harmless

my catalyst was working for a wealthy boss

after realizing that I know computers better

I got into trading,

oh and my hate for rich people helped :D

#44     Feb 27, 2007
  5. Jesse Livermore didn't need a 'catalyst' to 'transform' into a successful trader, he was born one. At age 15, he had already taken $1,000 (a great sum in 1892) in profit out of the bucket shops.

I was making enough to support my (then) meager lifestyle by my third month as a professional trader. My first five years (1996-2000) saw great gains with hardly any losses. Like Livermore, the struggles, slumps and hardships didn't show up until later in my career. The Livermore story has a happy beginning, but a miserable ending... my destiny will inevitably look the same.

#45     Feb 27, 2007
  6. my destiny will inevitably look the same.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have the ability to influence your own destiny. Just have a positive outlook!

#46     Feb 27, 2007
  7. Ever heard of a bipolar junkie whose life was graced with a happy ending? Me neither.

#47     Feb 27, 2007
  8. <i>The Livermore story has a happy beginning, but a miserable ending... my destiny will inevitably look the same."</i>

That would be a needless waste of incredible intellect and talent.

<i>"Ever heard of a bipolar junkie whose life was graced with a happy ending? Me neither."</i>

As a matter of fact, I certainly have. This former member of Black Sabbath is one of them. <b>http://www.mylon.org/bio/index.php

Reardon</b>, the world would be a much better place with you as a functional, happy & content part of it. I mean that sincerely, and always wish the very best for you.

#48     Feb 27, 2007
  9. hoodooman Registered: Jun 2003
    I often wondered what it would be like to trade under the influence of the weed. Anyone tried it?

Ahem! Ah mr hoodoo how could you not aim that question directly at me? It's as if a therapist asked me to explain my life.

Let me first just cut to the chase on a few points.
    The pot really helps on sell decisions.
    It takes a lot to get stoney roiled up on the weed. I'll take a good down 7% kick in the pants on some spec play and everything still ire' > I'll let it ride if I have my facts straight and they do come back... the little f*ers they do come crawling back to stoney. Then these fits of uncontrolled sell anxiety swarm over me.. The press is saying this and that and the world's ending and Iran this and another bomb that condoleeza here, broken NYSE computers there... and in times like that- it's wise to have the majority of your funds controlled by someone else- which I do.

Now to really out think the market you have to feel it. You feel it by living the white noise every damn day in every market condition. You wake up and you submerge yourself in what's working and what's not working and why. More important overall market direction which is a big part of the " feeling " thing that is greatly enhanced with the weed. You feel other investors panic and greed more than your own!

In a haze of Jamaican fancy your research takes interesting and varied directions to be sure.
    Buy decisions, early morning and price points are best left to a strong six cups of coffee. But after a workout and a brisk walk home, if things are a little boring, which everyday is... hey I fire up and next thing I know I'm knee deep in some obscure theory on the next great investment. The disappearance of America's honey bees is my new one. You have no idea the environmental and financial impact if this continues- things need pollination and I 've got to find an angle there! Or it's some new string of adult clubs, or the maker of Zicam cold products, online moving sites, pens that display movies on the wall,
    electronic metering companies... you really can't find this stuff NOT stoned.
    And the thing is these stocks are interesting fun ideas you enjoy researching it makes investing more interesting. Then you do your chart read your insider your internet search your analyst coverage, your message board board chatter, your cash in the bank, your last time it split, propensity to dilute shareholders, growth rate vs pe, inventory turn I could go on and on. When some idea makes it through enough of those parameters- I start following it. From there after the vetting process it's all momentum. I let the market tell me which of the interesting ideas to buy. The freedom to follow your instincts only comes from hard work and experience, if you can do that and blow one out the bathroom window now and then. Why not? It works for me.

#49     Feb 28, 2007
  10. thoams

thoams

Uhm?

Trade under the what of what?

PLEASE DO.

You'll be busy literally GIVING a broker the other side of a real trader's trade anyway. So go ahead and do it under the influence. Nutcase.

The real big lesson comes from *needing* the trading to go well (i.e. being stupid enough to reckon it can) and having it NOT go well, immediately and to a large degree.

I was sweating bullets facing 4/5ths loss of my total inital investment, at one time :)

Then I found gbp/jpy ;)

#50     Mar 1, 2007