What brought you to trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lpchad, Sep 25, 2008.

1. lpchad

lpchad

I'd like to have some good discussion on what first brought you into trading. How did you end up trading?

What were your circumstances before?
    Why did you decide to pursue it?

Hope to have a great thread!

2. gnome

gnome

Professional sport injury turned chronic.

Wanted to make lots of easy money.

3. I'm sure I could lose money just as easily as my broker. Since it is MY money, I thought "Why let him have all the fun".

These guru's we quote and read about, any of them ever call and ask you to invest? No. There ya go. First time ever heard the term "correction" was from my broker. I thought "hmmnnn" interesting description for his fuck up on his pick with my money and the sucker tanked and I asked wtf? Adios mofo.

4. How did you end up trading?

I knew long ago that my personality type was not suited for any 9-5 job. I knew my lifestyle choice would not be filled by any job. No job would allow me to take off whenevr I wanted, and still pay me. I took an Investools stocks and options course or two, then saw futures as investing on steroids, and liked the idea.

What were your circumstances before?

Before, during and after college and law school, I started businesses and either sold them or folded them. They were too boring, specifically, dealing with people on the job. I could see right through them and they were so predictable. The markets, being moved by size, greed and fear, intrigued me since it was not something I could map out and know for sure. Trying to figure out what button millions of people would push sure beat punching a clock.

Why did you decide to pursue it?

1. Money
    2. Challenge
    3. Freedom

I don't love money, I like what it does for me. In what other profession could I take a world cruise and still work via satellite from my suite? Money cannot buy happiness. In fact, if you're not ready for it, it can kill you and hurt those around you. But it sure gives you more choices in life.

5. bespoke

bespoke

Well, In 1981 in San Francisco, I was a smart salesman and family man but had invested the family savings in Ostelo National bone-density scanners (an apparatus twice more expensive than x-ray with practically the same resolution). The white elephant financially broke my family, bringing troubles to my relationship with my wife who then left me and moved to New York.

I then met a man who was getting out of his Ferrari and asked him what he did for a living. He told me he was a stockbroker and it was at that instant I knew what I had to do to live out my dreams and provide for my son. Without money and wife, but totally committed to my son Christopher, I saw the chance to fight for a stockbroker internship position at Dean Witter, fighting for one career in the end of a six month training period without any salary with twenty other candidates. Meanwhile, homeless, I had all sorts of difficulties with my son. So we found ourselves sometimes living on the street and struggling to get by. But I was determined to make it. And I did :)

I later started my own brokerage firm, Gardner Rich, in 1987.

6. You should write screenplays.

7. lpchad

lpchad

Nice try! You omitted the part about solving the rubic's cube in seconds.

Great thoughts so far from everyone else!

8. Any luck on the easy money? LOL.

Found out TODAY the wife is PREGO! (Time for a divorce now) LOL

9. I saw this little ad in a "Money Making Magazine" where this man would take my hand and teach me how to trade..thjis was back in 1993... I purchase the course and that is how I got started...the course was KEN ROBERTS, back then it was $149...opened an account with REFCO, was paying $45 each side...had the investors daily come to my apartment each morning and updated that fucking paper chart daily with a pencil.....

10. money and more money.

#10     Sep 25, 2008