What broker do you trade your 401-K with

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Toonces, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Fidelity for one, has self-employed 401(k), regular employee 401(k) and various versions of IRAs.

In their self-employed 401(k) and various IRAs you can buy stocks, options, and so on. I've not noticed any discernable difference between them at Fidelity.

Most of the noticable restrictions are due to the free-riding rule because you have a cash account, rather than a margin account.

So it depends maybe on what type of 401(k) you mean, what broker you want to use, what investments you want to be buying, and how long you wish to hold them and how long you will wait until redeploying the sales proceeds.

#11     Aug 14, 2006
  2. Q12

Q12

there are 401k plans out there that offer a "brokerage option" in addition to the core list of mutual funds... often, they'll incorporate a Fidelity or Schwab for the fund choices, and add on an Ameritrade (or other on-line firm) for the brokerage. Most plans that offer the brokerage option are smaller and white collar in nature (for obvious reasons).

#12     Aug 14, 2006
  3. Brownsfan thank you for the insight into the 401 limitations. I have tried to lobby for more options but don't get any positive response. I think the best option is a roll over to a self directed ira. Unfortunately I would have to switch jobs to do that and thats not what I want to do at this time.
    For now I just try to catch long term swings with funds.

#13     Aug 14, 2006