What broker do you recommend me for long term investments?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Mpas, Jul 13, 2019.

1. REDP1800

REDP1800

robin hood. its free if long term

#11     Jul 14, 2019
  2. Mpas

Mpas

Thank you very much to all that responded!

#12     Jul 14, 2019
  3. Mpas

Mpas

I have one question:you choose to have two accounts (one for trading and the other one for LT investing)only for a matter of 'comfort'?Or is there another particular reason?

#13     Jul 14, 2019
  4. REDP1800

REDP1800

#15     Jul 14, 2019
  5. If you combine active trading and (passive) long term investing into one account you have to keep tabs yourself about which trade is for what purpose, and which open position is for what purpose. If you keep separate accounts you can more easily separate the two objectives (trading versus investing). You receive two separate monthly overviews from IB, with a separate profit&loss and separate overview of all trades placed (incl. related transaction fees). So yes, I do it for comfort as it is more clearly visible what is happening with each of them.

#16     Jul 15, 2019
  6. Mpas

Mpas

And the cost of having two differents accounts on IB is the same as having only one right?(I mean,they dont charge you just for having an account,but they charge you by the trades/fees/commisions).Its not like if i open two differents accounts i would be paying more than if i just open only one account right?

#17     Jul 15, 2019
  7. Exactly. They charge per user account (login&password), not by trading account (Uxxx account number). If you have multiple trading accounts you will be able to select the trading account to which the fees (e.g. market data subscriptions) are to be charged to.

#18     Jul 15, 2019
  8. dozu888

dozu888

most 'long term investors' fail not because their broker charge them $10/month.... they fail because when the market is going up they all think they can be there for the 'long haul', but the moment the market drops, they can't sleep, can't take the pain, have to sell at the bottom so the pain can go away.

ask yourself, how much draw down can you handle without losing sleep? if it's $10k, then that means you can only buy $20k of stocks, even if you have $500k in hand.... you have to put the other $480k in bank CD... that's what I meant.

#19     Jul 15, 2019
  9. Mpas

Mpas

Perfect.Thank you for the response!

#20     Jul 15, 2019