What Books have you read that you would reread or recommend?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lucifer656, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Have any favorites? Any you would recommend to be read ? Fiction, Non-fiction, Documentary, Coffee table
    picture books ?

To start off I'd like to list a few names, without publishing info.
    If there is any interest in this thread, Book names with enough info to find them would be helpful.

Non Fiction:
    King of the Road. The story of bicycle, from early bone shakers to around 1070.

Time-Life "Seafarers" series , The Clipper Ships, The Windjammers, The Luxury Liners, The Racing Yachts.

The Nature of Boats, Dave Gerr . Insights and Esoterica for the Nautically Obsessed.

Bizarre Ships of the Nineteenth Century, John Guthrie. Wild, crazy, and unbelievable ships.

Fiction:
    Way too many to list. In past years have gone through many different interests.

Cowboy days: Louie L lamor, Max Brand, Zane Grey + , The older sometimes better than the newer.

Enjoy Clive Cussler, even with the sometimes predictable un believeable.

Christian Fiction:
    My wife reads a lot more than me. She has too many on hand to list. Some are worth reading. I have had enough
    of the Beverly Lewis Amish stories.

Did enjoy C.S.Lewis, also Frank Peretti.

Like to end on one last Trilogy: This is one I would recommend, and reread.

"Trophy Chase Trilogy" by George Bryan Polivka. Published 2007. Has nearly everything combined into one story.
    Love, Faith, Hope, Trickery, Deception, Betrayal, Action, and fantastic stories within the story. Happy ending.
    1.The Legend of the Firefish.
    2.The Hand that bears the Sword.
    3.The Battle for Vast Dominion.

piezoe likes this.
  2. piezoe

piezoe

Based on the books you liked may I suggest Dana's "Two Years before the Mast", a Harvard Classics. Also I think you would like Clinton Cranes, "Yachting Memories," If you can locate a used copy somewhere. A few spectacular photos of the early Americas cup yachts in that one. If you are a sailor, then you would want to read "Fastnet Force 10", the story of the 1979 Fastnet race that Ted turner won, 15 sailors lost their lives, and 75 boats capsized. I found it spell binding.

I am reading mostly economics these days. I have become a serious student of economics since my retirement in 2005.

3. Arch of Triumph
    The Clipper Ships
    and Book Thief
    These three are the most interesting for me. Maybe that's because these are the latest I've read for a while. But I can say for sure they worth reading and I've even used them for my college essay https://anonymous-essay.com/write-my-college-essays.html task. The speech I've used in my paper was connected to the first book I mentioned - Arch of Triumph. I used quotes from there and big part of description. That's exactly what I recommend to read for those who haven't read it before.

4. Andrew_87

Andrew_87

I have read some of the ones listed here. I am surely going to hit on the others though. Nice list

5. Looking at a different genre of books, would mention that I am really enjoying the "Gray Man" book series by Mark Greaney. Outstanding storytelling and action scenes along with a relatable protagonist.

mlawson71 likes this.
  6. Lenaly

Lenaly

Thanks for sharing this list!

7. mlawson71

mlawson71

What is the book about?

8. The Worst President in History: The Legacy of Barack Obama

You can find it on Amazon.

Amun Ra and Clubber Lang like this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. (Fantasy genre ala Lord of Rings) Like 12(?) books? Finished posthumously by his son.

Think of Stephen King's "The Stand" in length. Now imagine it times 12. Would be a great bedside companion this winter, until we get a vaccine.

10. The Guns of August
    The March of Folly

Both by Barbara Tuchman

#10     Sep 3, 2020