What Backtesting Platform do you use?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Baron, Oct 28, 2005.

What Backtesting Platform do you use?

1. TradeStation 4.0

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. TradeStation 2000i

10 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. TradeStation 6.0 or higher

40 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Metastock

8 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Wealth Labs (Software)

29 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. Wealth Labs (Fidelity)

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. TickQuest NeoTicker

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. AmiBroker

40 vote(s)
    19.4%
  9. TradersStudio

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Other

44 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

In TradersStudio , you don't have to use password protection it is an optional. Our view was people could share code and we encourage it. The issue we wanted to address was to build a large third party addin community and many of these people want to protect their code.

commercial grade addins are what originally made TraderStation so popular, because these addins are normally better tested and designed than code available in the public domain.

We currently have several addin in beta which we plan to release soon. These include CycleStudio , a MEM based cycle addin. In addition we also have a kernel regression addin,Neural Network addin as also in beta.

Our genetic algorithm addin is under development and should be in beta soon.

In addition to our addins we have many third part vendors who are developing addins for TradersStudio.

#71     Nov 13, 2005
  2. You get full source code and one year of upgrades and updates. The guarantee is basically the license agreement that we sign with you and, consequently, US/EU/International copyright / trade laws...

Cheers,
    Anton

#72     Nov 13, 2005
  3. I thought you said your friend was who tried it only?

whatever, No probelms

#73     Nov 14, 2005
  4. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

First as a TradeStation user TradersStudio is a big help because if offers portfolio optimization and money management. TradeStation does not and Rina software cost a lot more than $499.00. You simply translate your code and run it. In addition once they start using TradersStudio, our customers love it.

The global macro language allows them to do things they only wish they could do before. They can now write scripts to automated tasks for example, you could open ,optimize and run sessions , print reports from a script. These scripts can also access the statistics of your system runs. We used this power to write a walk forward analysis tool using our global macro language.

My point on how long it took us to develop it is in reference to the people claiming you could write your own platform in 2-3 months. I know most people don't care how long it too us to develop, I just wanted people to realize that write your own, it's easy posts where just stupid.

Here my question why is a basic like language a waste of time ? More people know basic than any other language in the world. Excel is a very powerful analytical tool and most people have it on their computer.

#74     Nov 14, 2005
  5. a5519

a5519

Could you explain what do you mean by portfolio optimization.

At the moment I don't know a tool that allows real simulation of portfolio trading, not to say optimization. I have in mind WealthLab, Rina, AmiBroker. TradeStation even doesn't claim it can, it's fair at least.

The "portfolio simulation" in these tools is based on two step procedure: in first step trade signals are generated, the second step applies money management to generated signals. Such approach doesn't allow to generate trading signals based on equity curve of the whole portfolio. This means they are not real portfolio simulation tools, despite loud marketing noise that these vendors are making.

#75     Nov 14, 2005
  6. Not true. AmiBroker provides ability to generate trading signals based on equity curve of the whole portfolio. It is true that it uses 2-pass approach (i.e. generate signals in first phase then performing portfolio backtest in second stage) but... it allows you also to fully control second phase of the backtest, including ability to access current portfolio equity (bar by bar) and modify rules/position sizing depending on portfolio equity and even use completely different signals.

#76     Nov 14, 2005
  7. a5519

a5519

amibroker,

could you confirm, that amibroker can implement the following portfolio trading rule:

go long INTC @limit xx.xx
    if the slope of the portfolio equity curve > 0
    and RSI of INTC < 30
    and VaR of portfolio < X

Thanks

#77     Nov 14, 2005
  8. Sure it can.

(I assume that with "VaR of portfolio" you mean "variance of portfolio equity curve" )

#78     Nov 14, 2005
  9. a5519

a5519

VaR I assume value at risk of current open positions in the portfolio, plus risk component that will be added by opening a new position.

It's a standard measure to control risk on a portfolio level.

#79     Nov 14, 2005
  10. Sure, value at risk can be incorporated into the trading system as well, because you have full access to already open positions and to portfolio equity and available funds on bar-by-bar basis.

#80     Nov 14, 2005